Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

engine bay fire due to faulty ground?

Old 03-24-2018, 01:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine bay fire due to faulty ground?

So awhile back I had an engine bay fire while trying to start her up. It started at the ground cable that attaches to the hood.

I cleaned it up and taped all chafed wires in the vicinity. Then stuck another ground from the block to the body. Was this a bad idea and could it prevent my Jeep from reading any related codes? Or should I just replace the starter. Sometimes she dose have a hard time turning over.
Anyone ever have this issue?
Thoughts ideas?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I would start by cleaning all of the grounds. I believe there are 3 easy ones you can get to. Then I would run a ground from the negative battery to the alternator bracket.

I've had some electrical issues myself. You need to go one by one on the issues so you can know for sure what the problem is and that you definitely solved it.

I have a used starter for sale on CL right now for $40 with 50k on it. lol I had a no start issue at 50k and rookie mistake on my part was to start playing parts roulette with it.

No start issues could also be a WCM as I am currently dealing with right now. It senses if you have the chipped correct ignition key.

Clean the grounds first then add that exact one. Got the battery ground wire at autozone for $7.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I'll check/clean them. Also could this be the cause for my random rough idle, she almost dies at stop lights randomly, like once every other day
Old 03-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Possible throttle body cleaning could help. You changed the CPS but there is also a Cam position sensor and throttle position sensor too. Start with the cheap and almost free one. Rag and can of throttle body cleaner.

Quick Reply: engine bay fire due to faulty ground?