Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Compartment Cleaning

Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Cleaning

Hi All --

This is my first post, but I've been getting alot of information from reading others' posts. Thanks for all the information. Now to the point:

I went for my first trail ride a few weeks ago and went through some mud puddles (sorry, no pics) and yesterday noticed that there was a thin layer of dust/dry mud in the engine compartment.

How is something like that normally cleaned?

Can I take it to one of those self-service car washes and choose the engine cleaner/degreaser option?

Are there spots in the engine I should avoid with the hose?

Thanks for any help for a newbie!!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard spraying the engine compartment down is bad. I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but seeing as the jeep can ford water, i'm sure it shouldn't be a big deal

That being said, don't hold me responsible... I'm just assuming it's okay.

I wouldn't use a pressure washer, as that can be dangerous for the wires and such. I would also try and avoid the fuse box and don't spray water directly into the air box.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would not use high-pressure water in the engine compartment.

I spray a crap-load of Simple Green (full strength) everywhere, let it sit for a minute or two, then start the Jeep up. I let it run for about 10 minutes or so, enough for it to warm up a bit, then shut the Jeep down. Then, with regular water pressure from the garden-hose, I rinse everything off.

When the engine is off, I ball up a few wash cloths and shove them into the air box, so water doesn't get in there.

Repeat the Simple Green/run/rinse procedure a few times if it's very dirty.

This works pretty well. I've been doing it for a long time; my 12 year old Jetta's engine compartment still looked new until I traded it in on the JK.

You can also get a few bristle-brushes to scrub hard to reach spots.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

I heard that steam cleaning is very good, but not sure and never tried it.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Oh thanx for that info, you mean degreaser like in pouring degreaser on the whole engine? or just the block? or should i open the hood and pour the degreaser all over the place?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Every time I go playing in the dirt I stop by the do it yourself power wash on the way home and spray out the engine (water only no soap) before I do the rest of the jeep. 12+ times in the last 6 months and all is good.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

The way many detailing companies and product manufacters reccomend and the way I do it is to

Spray on the engine degressor over the engine. Avoiding, the alternating and fuse box if possable. Wait a few minutes

Start your car up and start to hose down the engine with not to much pressure staying away from the alternator. Keep engine running to evaporate any water left over.

Shut car off and either using a towel, or air pressure, or even an electric leaf blower to dry off the engine compartment.

Then spray on your engine detailer.

Don't use a pressure washer to much pressure, use a garden hose with the water gun set to spray.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm gonna be branded a redneck for this... but... i use Tide... yes, the stuff you do laundry with. The powder one. its a touchy thing to use, but god damn does it work better then some degreaser. I've tried the degreaser at flagship and also the off the shelf stuff. but, you have to spray it like 4-5 times for it to work. Tide seems to do it on the first go round.

what i do is first get the engine at running temp, spray it down real good to knock all the loose dirt off and any chunks as well. So now you have that caked on stuff left. do all this with the engine off. sprinkle the tide powder on all the dirty spots (AVOIDING THE ALTERNATOR!!!) and don't be shy about it. let it sit for a 10-15 minutes. start the engine, and spray it with water until all of it is gone. and make sure its all gone.

just incase you got some in the alternator... re-oil it along with all the other pulley's otherwise you'll get a nice squeak later. and presto, you're engine is clean.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Just to make sure we have enough conflicting opinions, I'll point out that I've pressure washed every inch of my JK's engine bay about 4 times & haven't had a problem yet. I just have an electric pressure washer though, not one capable of cutting 1/4 steel plate The only precaution I take is to back the nozzle off the electrical bits to more like 8" to a foot. The rest of the engine - I let it have it.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CD2 brand engine cleaner/polish is a good way to go also. I get it at the local auto-parts chain for about 8 bucks and it works really well.
Spray on a warm motor....let it soak....lightly rinse off....done!

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Cleaning