Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine light blinking and esp light

Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light blinking and esp light

Please help!
I'm driving my sister to her friends house and half way there, the engine light starts flashing, I'm still in first gear taking off on a slight incline from a red light, as the engine light starts flashing and the beep goes off, the jeep lost a bit of power and in the motion, my foot floored it, gave it the power and I kept going about 50 feet to the next parking lot, shut her down n checked under the hood for fluid levels, oil ok, coolant ok, windshield ok, brake fluid ok, steering ok...at the risk of sounding like a newb, couldn't find transmission fluid. When I took off, the esp light came on and the button won't turn it back on

Anyways, it was having some boggy driving when shifting...and a bit rough on idle. Went to shell at hwy9 and airport fueled up and was on my way, but she wouldn't start! Just turning over n over then started! And before I could get my belt on, stalled out... Tried again and again to get her going and after a few minutes she finally got going and a bit boggy but then only boggy on shifting bit still a bit rough idle. Engine light blinks then stays solid, and goes back and beeps every time

If it means anything, I went ice fishing the day before and drove out in the lake...-27 -47 with windchill
I used the block heater for the first time before going out on the lake and didn't use it again cuz I didn't kno my sis needed a ride

Today being a holiday I don't kno what to do... I made it home and really hope plugging the block heater in will solve all my problems...I leave for work at 6am

Please any insight on my problem? Experience?
Also before(a month ago or so) the engine light came on solid and would go away and come back periodically, I mean hundreds of kilometers apart, buddy checked it out and read p0408 I think? But before I ended up taking her in, the light went away for good until now...I'm not sure about that code but he also googled it and said it was emg failure or something like that...it was exhaust related and he said it wouldn't pass etest

Last edited by Jetpack; 02-16-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My daughter's JKU had a blinking engine light and a stuttering motor. No codes.
She restarted and light was off. She went to Jeep and they couldn't pull a code. Probably a misfire.
Told her if it happens again pull over and they would come and tow her.
If your CEL is still blinking, you shouldn't be driving it.
Get it to a dealer if you're under warranty. You should have roadside assist.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

I have lubrico aftermarket warranty, I hope that'll cover it
Old 02-16-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year? Under warranty? Fuel line frozen? Looks like it went into limp mode.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your engine light stays solid, it's not a major engine problem.
Go to a dealer or auto zone and have them check for a thrown code.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

08 x unlimited
Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

A friend has a reader and scanned these codes

I googled them and the first 2 r misfire
The other 2 r crankshaft position sensor

Driving really weird
Drives fine(CEL still blinking/solid) then when I give'r, suddenly the ESP little emblem light goes on and stays on til I park and leave for a lil while, back and runs well til I push hard and the esp light comes back on, and won't rev or run passed 3500 rpm with the ESP light on...but on the fresh start, runs passed 3500 rpm as long as it's not accelerating hard
Old 03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

The jeep ran fine for about a week and a half...misfire happened again...I tried getting the crankshaft position sensor but it doesn't want out...I crushed it with some vice-grips...
Old 09-29-2018, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpack
A friend has a reader and scanned these codes

I googled them and the first 2 r misfire
The other 2 r crankshaft position sensor

Driving really weird
Drives fine(CEL still blinking/solid) then when I give'r, suddenly the ESP little emblem light goes on and stays on til I park and leave for a lil while, back and runs well til I push hard and the esp light comes back on, and won't rev or run passed 3500 rpm with the ESP light on...but on the fresh start, runs passed 3500 rpm as long as it's not accelerating hard
My 2012 JKUR is doing the exact same thing only the codes were 0303 and 0339. Did you find a solution?

Quick Reply: Engine light blinking and esp light