Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine replacement/missing dust cover?

Old 07-21-2020, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine replacement/missing dust cover?

Hello All,

I just had the engine on my 2007 JK replaced and have some concerns that I hope you experts can help me sort out. It was done at a Jeep dealership under the lifetime warranty.

My primary concern is about the way the transmission and engine line up. There is oil dripping so I crawled under and noticed the transmission bell housing doesn't seem to line up (photo attached). It seems like the dust cover is missing but I'm not sure. I asked the dealership and I was told this engine might be slightly different and possibly doesn't need a dust cover. The oil is dripping from the same location. Does that look correct? Is it possible the wrong engine was put in?

I have other problems that I assume are related to the repair but not to this question. I'll share them just in case they have value:

Check engine light came on for a knock sensor - they said it was loose. Hasn't come on again.
There's a loud vibration/rattle at low speeds (parking lots) - not addressed yet
Coolant leaked in my garage after driving it last night - not addressed yet

Thanks!

Glenn

2007 JK Unlimited, Automatic Transmission

Old 07-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Hey there, welcome to the forum. I don't have an auto so I'm not helpful in that regard but the bottom end of the motor looks accurate for our 3.8l v6.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to JKF. First, yeah it could be the reman engine you received is a different variant. That's not such a big deal, however, I would be -very- concerned about the oil leak. They likely didn't get the oil pan gasket properly seated at the back of the engine. Definitely needs fixed as that will only get worse.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I'm very concerned about that oil leak, too. Fortunately I can visually tell if they fix it correctly. I was concerned about the way things line up because I didn't know if it really mattered. I read about damage being caused by missing dust covers so I'm just trying to protect myself from anything down road. I have 262k on it and don't want to miss out on transmission coverage due to a technicality ;-)
Old 07-05-2023, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Paddock
Hello All,

I just had the engine on my 2007 JK replaced and have some concerns that I hope you experts can help me sort out. It was done at a Jeep dealership under the lifetime warranty.

My primary concern is about the way the transmission and engine line up. There is oil dripping so I crawled under and noticed the transmission bell housing doesn't seem to line up (photo attached). It seems like the dust cover is missing but I'm not sure. I asked the dealership and I was told this engine might be slightly different and possibly doesn't need a dust cover. The oil is dripping from the same location. Does that look correct? Is it possible the wrong engine was put in?

I have other problems that I assume are related to the repair but not to this question. I'll share them just in case they have value:

Check engine light came on for a knock sensor - they said it was loose. Hasn't come on again.
There's a loud vibration/rattle at low speeds (parking lots) - not addressed yet
Coolant leaked in my garage after driving it last night - not addressed yet

Thanks!

Glenn

2007 JK Unlimited, Automatic Transmission

ok so I just got my transmission rebuilt and mine now looks like this. They tell me it’s supposed to be this way. Is that correct?
Old 07-05-2023, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by j260
ok so I just got my transmission rebuilt and mine now looks like this. They tell me it’s supposed to be this way. Is that correct?
That's correct!
Old 07-05-2023, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Make sure the reman engine was a Jeep type not a van type. Jeep types are less common and you did say "reman" engine not a new engine. There would be a few things to look for especially where the oil filter attaches and the engine mounts need to be adapted by drilling a boss in the block I believe. But hopefully you got the van engine rods and pistons as they were a better design and did not use oil like 3.8s did. I am being a bit far fetched but sounds like you got a not so dedicated dealer doing the work-especially the oil and coolant leaks.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Make sure the reman engine was a Jeep type not a van type. Jeep types are less common and you did say "reman" engine not a new engine. There would be a few things to look for especially where the oil filter attaches and the engine mounts need to be adapted by drilling a boss in the block I believe. But hopefully you got the van engine rods and pistons as they were a better design and did not use oil like 3.8s did. I am being a bit far fetched but sounds like you got a not so dedicated dealer doing the work-especially the oil and coolant leaks.
My engine was correct. I got all of the miscellaneous issues resolved after my original post. It was sloppy work at the dealership. Thanks for the follow-up. I ended up getting my transmission replaced a few weeks ago under the same warranty. 300k now.
Old 07-06-2023, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Paddock
That's correct!

ok then. Man at first glance I was like “there is no way that is designed to look like that”. I went to the mechanic and pointed it out. He said it was right. I come to the internet and found this post. I was convinced they had done something wrong. Mine looks identical to yours but all my buddies jeeps looks like I think it should look lol.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement/missing dust cover?