Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine wont start

Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wont start

Was driving my 08 auto fine all day today. Turned it off then literally went to start it one minute later and nothing. This isn't the same problem as putting it in neutral. I'm not getting any click at all by starter or engine. Tested the battery with a multi meter and it has power. All dash lights come on. I looked at the ignition fuse and it looked ok, but i am no expert on cartridge fuses. Any ideas?? Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Original battery? If so you need to get it load tested, not just with a multimeter.

That is where I would start. If the battery proves to be good then there are other things to check.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clockspring, neutral safety switch,starter,cables, so on so forth, if and auto try park to first and back to park a few times
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 08 did something like this also. I replaced the starter and then I had to replace the battery. I would take the battery to autozone or somewhere and let them check it first
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just tried to jump it and that didn't work
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

All of these 'My Jeep won't start' threads is either a coincidence or maybe Chrysler has a 'Kill all of the older model JK's so they come back to buy a '12-'13' buttons.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed my battery on my 08 JKU even through it was okay. My friends JKU in NJ died at the parking lot, while going to the pharmarcy. Parked went in , would not start. It seems that mopar batteries die on thier 4th year. Same happened to my 06 PT cruiser started one minute died the next.

also remember YOU WILL GET 12 VOLTS ON AN ORIGINAL BATTERY...just not enought power to crank the engine.

If you have an 08 , be prepaired to replace the batttery swoon.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Replaced the battery in my 08 in march...it did give me a couple of slow start warnings tho...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two years ago my 07 did the same thing. No click, nothing, and the battery was fine. I read on the web about a problem with static discharge zapping the chip that reads the chip in the key. It said to pull a fuse out, wait three minutes and put it back. Worked for me and has never happened again. I don't remember what the fuse was called and if it wasn't pouring out i'ld get a picture of it. It was under the hood, passenger side, in about the center of the fuse block. I do remember it had a white plastic frame around it and was almost square shaped on top. Wish I could help more tonight but I you search the web for this you should find it like I did. If not let me know and I will snap a picture tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the battery cables for about 10 minutes and let the computer reset. See if anything changes.

Quick Reply: Engine wont start