Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ESP and ABS come on after swapping out tires

Old 05-10-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
But the M/T tires are a different type of tread than your previous tires, and they will break traction a bit easier. I'm betting the issue is a combination of a bit taller tire (so you have a tiny bit higher center of gravity), and the tires that break traction a bit easier.

good point!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Or drive in a yard and floor it, It'll kick on....

gravel parking lot will do the same thing.
Hmmmm, the neighbors yard could be fun...... I'll tell him you said it was OK.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ABS light and ESP light are tied together. I would have it checked at the dealer like the previous poster suggested.

If a wheel speed sensor is'nt working properly it'll make them both go off. How does it react on other curves?

The reason I'm asking. I don't have issues with mine with the exception with one on ramp in Boardman, it kicks on every time.

If the dealer wont flash for 32's let me know,
The ESP light flashed 3 times around various Pittsburgh hills and such ... the ABS only kicked in once around that turn. I just had an alignment done yesterday, too.

I experienced this once before in another 07 I had for three weeks on an offramp when it was completely dry and I was not going fast. It was a basic JK that had 225/70/16 tires.

I'm thinking that maybe it just needs flashed at the dealer and that will (hopefully) solve the problem. I am going to give these M/T tires a chance on a trip up to Erie and see how I like them. So far I've only driven them less than 100 miles around town and on the highway. The majority of my driving is on-road in the city, so I'm going to have to see how practical these are going to be for my use. I was originally intending on just getting a set of BFG All-Terrain K/Os to replace my BFG Radial Long Trail T/As that I wasn't happy with, but a good deal on these came up (and the guy lived five blocks from me!) so I jumped on it.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

yup, if they did not recenter the steering wheel properly, thats the problem.

I had mine aligned, and it was'nt right. I had to recenter it myself. If you need a hand, let me know. I'm about a mile from 4wd hardware.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 05-10-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, if the did not recenter the steering wheel properly, thats the problem
Seriously? I had it done at NTB ... I have a six month warranty on it.

It seemed nice and straight when I drove it on the highway yesterday to try it out.

Quick Reply: ESP and ABS come on after swapping out tires