Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

evap canister question

Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evap canister question

So i ripped off the evap canister on the trail. I replaced it and the sensor, replaced the seal between the canister and the sensor. Everything looks correct but I still have a gas cap warning.
Will this go off in time? I thought I read that it needs three fill ups or something likd that to get the gas cap warning to go away.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

never heard of three fill-ups...
Are all of the hoses and connections tight?
I would try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for about ten minutes and then reconnecting. The computer SHOULD run all new checks on reset.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything looks tight, I was going to try disconnecting the battery when I get her back from the shop (getting new gears and a rear locker).
Any other ideas boys and girls are appreciated.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got some of that silicone X-treme tape from Duluth Trading Co and wrapped all of my connections with that. Three fill ups is more than enough time for the computer to have reset itself. Theres got to be a little air seeping in from somewhere.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

what the heck does the evap canister even do? If I bust mine one the trail am I going to be able to make it home?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

it clears the vapors from the gas tank. I drove for a week without it while wheeling in Arizona over thanksgiving.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

As far as the EVAP system test: the vehicle has to have atleast 1/4 tank to run a system test.
Also has to notice a 25% change in fuel level, has to have alteast 3 key cycles & have an 8 hour wait in there somewhere.

I will have to dig for more info - but its more complicated than just having 3 tanks ran through it. I had to deal with this on a chrysler/dodge product for work.
If the can got ripped off - check the electrical connections associated with it also, dont jsut assume they are alright. That was a big part of our problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevy51deluxe
I will have to dig for more info - but its more complicated than just having 3 tanks ran through it. I had to deal with this on a chrysler/dodge product for work.
If the can got ripped off - check the electrical connections associated with it also, dont jsut assume they are alright. That was a big part of our problem.
Mine cleared the light itself once I fixed the leak (where ever the hell it was.)

X20 on the electrical side. Excellent point.

Last edited by seer1; 12-11-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

There is a relocation kit for the canister. Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit. Many on here have used it. Brett Woods, who makes the kit, is a member on here. It moves the evap can up against the bottom of the tub above the rear axle, so it is out of the way and cannot get hit by anything.

http://www.4xfix.com/#Jeep_JK_Evap_Can_Relocation_Kit
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevy51deluxe
I had thought about this, so now the next question. The electrical service to the canister is a two prong plug. Is the sensor a solonoid switch with a positve negative or is it a switch, and if it is a switch is it on a positive or a negative pole?
I can't figure the sensor out.

Quick Reply: evap canister question