Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Excessive oil consumption

Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive oil consumption

I'm losing about a quart of oil every 3k miles , is this normal ? I love my jeep but not impressed with a 6 year old motor burning oil . Guess I'll be checking the oil every gas fill up like the old days. I just look funny checking the oil on a shiny new jeep at the gas station
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, normal for the 3.8. Do a search and you will find several threads here about this. I think Chrysler says 1 qt per 1000 (or less) is normal. Just keep checking it every so often.

Last edited by airforce26yrs; 05-04-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie

x2, on what Air Force said. Others have changed their PVC & used a heavy weight oil which seem to reduce the oil consumption. Just monitor the oil level religiously and add if needed. Dont ket it run too low or dry. those who did spun a bearing or threw a rod. Others have done an oil consumption test which proved the excessive oil loss in which Chrysler took care of the problem under warranty...
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One quart every 3k is not bad. Dealer is not going to do anything for that. They just replaced my 2010 engine, hope my new one doesn't have the same problem. I was burning a quart every 1k miles.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtymonkey
I'm losing about a quart of oil every 3k miles , is this normal ? I love my jeep but not impressed with a 6 year old motor burning oil . Guess I'll be checking the oil every gas fill up like the old days. I just look funny checking the oil on a shiny new jeep at the gas station
This is an acceptable amount according to Chrysler...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input , I will probably try and use a thicker oil. Engine seems to be idling fine so I'll hold off on the PVC. I have also noticed at start up what seems to be valve noise before oil gets sprayed on it. Have you guys heard of this problem or is this normal too. Noise does go away after a couple of seconds
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input , I will probably try and use a thicker oil. Engine seems to be idling fine so I'll hold off on the PVC. I have also noticed at start up what seems to be valve noise before oil gets sprayed on it. Have you guys heard of this problem or is this normal too. Noise does go away after a couple of seconds
I would go ahead and change the PCV. My oil consumption dropped dramatically when I did. It's inexpensive but can be a PITA to get out the longer it stays in.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

What brand oil filter are you using? Some brands don't have a very good anti drain back which causes that noise at start up. I never had that problem using the Mopar OEM oil filter...
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that noise too and after some extensive research I have chosen to use a Motorcraft FL-400S oil filter. Since then I didn't have the start up knock anymore. Highly recommended!

Oh, and I have also spent hours on understanding the differences not only between different weights but also the differences within the same weight class. My recommendation for you is to switch to a 5W-30 High Mileage oil even if your engine might still be below 75,000 miles. The high mileage oils are on the thicker end of the weight class. Basically a High Mileage 5W-30 is closer to 5W-40 than regular 5W-30 oils. By the way, the 3.8L was originally designed for 5W-30 but Chrysler chose to recommend 5W-20 in order to make the JK look a little more fuel efficient.

Last edited by Sebastian; 05-06-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

How many miles? That changes alot for what to expect. Still 1 quart by 3k is dam good.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption