Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Feels like gas pedal is less sensitive...?

Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feels like gas pedal is less sensitive...?

Hi guys, let me start by saying I know next to nothing when it comes to cars and how they run. Hopeful to learn though. Any help you guys could provide is much appreciated.

I have a '14 2-door Sport with a manual transmission. And basically, ever since yesterday it has felt as though the gas pedal is less sensitive. Like when I shift, I have to press it down a little farther than usual to really feel it.

It sounds small but its extremely aggravating lol. It almost feels as though the first inch of downward pressure on the pedal doesn't do anything, whereas before I feel like it would have been immediate response.

I don't know what could have caused this. The only thing that worries me is that two nights ago I did some minor urban offroading. (Basically just drove over a snow covered curb/median thing from one parking lot into another parking lot). I don't know how that could have caused anything..? And I don't recall it feeling different on my way home that night..? But I'm really not sure. It could be normal and all be in my head for all I know.

But yeah anyways if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by klucas31; 02-21-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Probably not related to your urban off-roading. I think our jeeps are fly by wire, meaning the throttle is all electronic. Not a cable like older vehicles.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 02-21-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Probably not related to your urban off-roading. I think our jeeps are fly by wire, meaning the throttle is all electronic. Not a cable like older vehicles.
Yep, this.

The first thing that bugged me when I 'upgraded' to the JK from the TJ was how unresponsive the throttle was. Jumped on the forums and the consensus was that the JK is all drive by wire meaning the throttle is computer controlled. To make the city folks happier and make the ride smoother the computer controls your acceleration so its nice and gradual.

There are some modules and chips you can by to make the pedal more sensitive but seems a bit over priced in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
... To make the city folks happier and make the ride smoother the computer controls your acceleration so its nice and gradual...
Jeeps take on that is they smoothed the throttle so as we are bouncing over rocks the Jeep isn't jerked around.

OP--Don't know if it would help, but there is an Android app, Torque, that with an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD adapter let's you monitor the CAN bus. One thing you can choose to monitor is throttle position.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

I don't know if this will help but I came across this a while back..

Adjusting Throttle response:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Wait for all of the dash lights that normally come on at start up to go out.
3. Depress the gas pedal to the floor and back one time***
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

***the throttle response is adjusted based on how quickly or slowly you send the gas pedal to the floor and back... the quicker you floor it and let go, the faster the throttle response will be.

Also note that this is NOT a permanent adjustment, the ECM will continue to learn and adjust to your driving habit's. If you drive it like you stole it, it will last a while, if you hit 30 mins of traffic it will probably be back to normal in a day or two.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Jeeps take on that is they smoothed the throttle so as we are bouncing over rocks the Jeep isn't jerked around.

OP--Don't know if it would help, but there is an Android app, Torque, that with an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD adapter let's you monitor the CAN bus. One thing you can choose to monitor is throttle position.
That's a good point. I've heard they made the pedal more difficult to press for this reason as well. Came across a thread on another JK forum where the guy removed one of the springs to make it a bit more responsive. But in essence that is just less effort to mash the gas pedal.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ziggy21
I don't know if this will help but I came across this a while back..

Adjusting Throttle response:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Wait for all of the dash lights that normally come on at start up to go out.
3. Depress the gas pedal to the floor and back one time***
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

***the throttle response is adjusted based on how quickly or slowly you send the gas pedal to the floor and back... the quicker you floor it and let go, the faster the throttle response will be.

Also note that this is NOT a permanent adjustment, the ECM will continue to learn and adjust to your driving habit's. If you drive it like you stole it, it will last a while, if you hit 30 mins of traffic it will probably be back to normal in a day or two.
Believe it or not this worked like a charm man! Thanks! (I think it worked at least, either way something has it feeling back to normal). And thanks to everyone else who gave their input too! Cheers
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it works like the Volvo fire by wire, it also reduces the input to achieve better fuel economy. The computer in my Volvo does this. And, it is peppier after my wife drives it as she is easier on the throttle and corrects to her style. I get in, and it is touchy for the first few miles. Never notice on my '12, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they implement this in jeeps as well. I believe all acts will eventually have this.

Quick Reply: Feels like gas pedal is less sensitive...?