Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A few Questions

Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Questions

Has any one had the problem of the strap that runs along the top sided of the soft top coming off? Today both of them just popped off. Also the weather stripping around the door is melting and it sticks to the door frame and pulls the weather stripping off of the door. It also leaves black marks all over around and on the door. Does anyone know an easy way to fix either of these and if it would be covered by the warranty.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure about the strap.

As far as the "tar" stuff, there is a TSB for it I think. Basically when its hot outside and you drive the goo used to put the weatherstripping on gets driven out by force of the wind. Its not that anything is melting, they just used a lot of black goo when assembling I think.

Anyway, just use a terrycloth towel and rub the black goo off (someone can correct me what the proper name of that stuff is, but its goo to me). Took me about 30 minutes to do both sides. I've had to do it twice, second time wasn't as much.

I recommend you DO NOT use goo-be-gone or tar remover or whatever so that you do not rub off the clear coat. I used a little bit of windex to get mine started. Hope that helps.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help the first time it did it i used goo gone so i hope i didnt mess anything up. I'll try windex or something tomorrow and see how it does.

Quick Reply: A few Questions