Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Finally found the adjustment for parking brake adjust...

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally found the adjustment for parking brake adjust...

So if this is a duplicate thread, I apologize ahead of time but i couldn't find this fix anywhere on the forum.

I spent the time to adjust my parking brake pads at the wheels but it still wouldn't grab until the very last click and then it was very weak. I read someone's thread about adjusting the cable but having to remove the console in the process. I really didn't want to have to do that so I tried using a coat hanger to release the pressure on the cable but that didn't work. I noticed a tab just beside the handle to the parking brake so I figured i'd mess with it. I found that it took in the slack on the cable that was not allowing me to adjust the brake right.

With the brake down I lifted/pulled from front to rear on the tab in the picture and then lifted the brake with the other hand allowing it to click as it went up. The tab immediately went back about a half inch and stayed so I repeated the same steps a few more time and it adjusted some more. Now it engages about half way up and is tight. I hope that this may help some of you who still have troubles with the worthless hand brakes in these jeeps. Easy and quick and i'd advise trying this before you remove the wheels to adjust at the drum... its a PITA!
The following users liked this post:
Vagrant (08-09-2023)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Forgot the pic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130123_122059.jpg
Views:	17306
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	413031
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I think what you are doing with the coat hanger is the same thing the tension spring in the photo is supposed to do.
Maybe your tension spring is broken.
Let us know how long your adjustment lasts until you have to do it again.

Photo is from this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-135255/

Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Will do... So the parking brake should be auto adjusting? If so why do so many people have issues with the adjustment at the wheels not working? I was trying to take the pressure off of the metal bracket because someone said that is how to adjust after initial install and lift the handle.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If there wasn't a wind chill of 7° today I'd do now.... I definitely gotta try this!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The parking brake is not self adjusting like shoe brakes of the past.

The tension spring only removes slack from the cable when the handle is returned to the down position. It allows the handle to get a new grip on the cable drum with each application cycle.

I don't know why people have so much trouble with the parking brake adjustment.
I adjusted mine several years ago, (at the wheels), and it has been good since. I get full application in about 4 clicks.

The closest thing to self adjusting of the shoes is backing up and stopping with the hand brake. It doesn't adjust the star wheel like in the old days. However, it seems to equalize the two rear cables, which makes the parking brakes a little more effective.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in that this procedure, lifting the metal tab under the brush slot, while the brake lever is in the down position, also worked for my 2011 Unlimited Sport after the adjustment at the star wheels made very little difference. I'm now able to secure the parking brake with a few clicks, rather than the very last click.

Very helpful! Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Mtbjeeper67 (06-05-2021)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ritualdevice
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in that this procedure, lifting the metal tab under the brush slot, while the brake lever is in the down position, also worked for my 2011 Unlimited Sport after the adjustment at the star wheels made very little difference. I'm now able to secure the parking brake with a few clicks, rather than the very last click.

Very helpful! Thanks!
Well shoot thanks for necro bumping this thread. I just bought an 07 JK have noticed the same thing. I tried to get to my star adjuster through the little window with tires on etc. Yeah right that wasn't happening, so I was going to remove the wheels and caliper to adjust. I will try this trick first to see if it's an improvement.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OST for now
Old 08-02-2017, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Recently while replacing the rear brakes pads and rotors; I cleaned the dust from the emergency brake shoes and assembly. While reassembling I adjusted the emergency brake shoes so they contacted the rotors inside surface while sliding the rotor in place. Tested the drag of the shoes on the rotors to ensure the rotors spun freely. Now the emergency brake engages firmly after 3-4 clicks and will hold the Jeep in place in neutral on a mild grade hill.

Quick Reply: Finally found the adjustment for parking brake adjust...