Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Flying Gas Nozzles

Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pumping pressure too high

The new vaporproof pump nozzles don't seat all the way in the filler neck like the old ones. They sit on the flat rubber ring so the fuel vapor can be trapped while the vehicle is being refueled. Time is money at a gas pump, many stations have their pump pressure adjusted up to the max to get you out of there. This high pump pressure and the shallow nozzle seating depth equals shooting nozzles. The nozzle is actually starting it's exit from the filler neck before the gas shuts off. Pressure buildup in the filler neck starts the sequence. If the pump shut off first the nozzle would stay in and you would have NO fuel outside the Jeep......Stand outside the Jeep and hold the nozzle or insist to the attendant that the autofill notch be set at slow......
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to tell you this but your Jeep sounds like a cheap hooker. Its just saying:Your done (GET OFF).
Must be one of those new: (SMART JEEPS)
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

As soon as I saw "the attendant" I knew Joe was from "the Jerze". Every time I'm in that state, I have the angel/devil argument over cheap gas and idiotic pump attendants who do things like scratch your paint or spill fuel all over the freakin place.

That law is nothing but a make work social program dressed up to look like a safety regulation. Although it predates former Governor McCreepy by a few decades, he took it to ridiculous heights, employing an attendant to pump his wife while he watched as well.

Rim shot please?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never happened to me...usually when I fill er up I remove the plastic tether cord from the fuel cap and wedge the cap into the pump handle...in 5500 miles I have probably filled the tank at least 20 times. So far so good.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

maybe it's your Jeep's way of telling you to put mud on the tires and not "jell"...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by putnam dan
I think in NJ they have to provide an attendant - you can happily pump it yourself I do all the time at the self service pumps

Well...... I live in CA now and my first run to Oregon I had TWO attendants having caniption fitts on me when I tried pumping gas-- said it was the Law in Oregon all gas HAD to be pumped by employees ONLY

....And they say we here in Cali have some wierd laws....
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
Well...... I live in CA now and my first run to Oregon I had TWO attendants having caniption fitts on me when I tried pumping gas-- said it was the Law in Oregon all gas HAD to be pumped by employees ONLY

....And they say we here in Cali have some wierd laws....
Yeah. Oregon is a beautiful state and has one of the prettiest coast lines there is but whenever I pull into a station when my wife and I go to or through Oregon I shake my head wondering: WHY?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whoa...I must not get out of Colorado enough! WTF...why does someone have to pump the gas for you? Is this a safety thing? An enivronmental thing?

As far as the original question...I always leave the nozzle in the auto position on max flow. Never had any issues with it coming out and spraying everywhere. Maybe I should move to NJ and become a "station attendant". NOT.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChevyM14
The problem is not with your JK, it is with your State. You live in a place where most the population is too brain dead to work a gas pump, or make a left turn! When ever I go to NJ I just get out and pump my own gas.
Aw quit yer bitchin.

NJ has some of the cheapest gas in the country ($3.34 gal today) and you don't even have to pump it yourself.

NJ and Oregon are the only two states that mandate full serve. Keeps the real idiots from over filling and spilling gas everywhere or burning the station down because they are too stupid to take the cigarette out of their mouths.

So you other states can stand in the rain and cold and pump your own more expensive gas and stink from the fumes.

I've seen pump handles pop out of other cars. It hasn't happened on my Jeep yet. I think its because of the spring loaded vapor recovery hose that is over the nozzle and the nozzle not being pushed in enough.

You may not be allowed to pump you own gas in NJ. and if you try Habib will hit you with his turban. But there is no law saying you can't hold the nozzle steady.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure it is the correct hole
see avatar

Quick Reply: Flying Gas Nozzles