Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Frame rust, under carraige , one possible solution :)

Old 08-20-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frame rust, under carraige , one possible solution :)

Keywords: frame rust, waxoyl

hi all

I recently got my JK, and am studying as to where to properly apply this homebrew method, I have done it on my TJs and works pretty good..........................

Us northern and upper midwest jeepers have to deal with rust, I always use Rustoleon spray paint, but was looking fro something more plaible and able to flow. and cheap! I know some people use old motor oil etc. etc, but this works for me..................................

Just thought some jeepers will benefit from this info.......

Doing the outside of the frame is great BUT I can tell you that doing the outside is great, but, if you DONT DO the INSIDE, it will RUST out anyway!!!. I had some bad rust on my frame, so I bought a pack of step drills and drilled 3 holes along each side the bottom of rails about 1 1/2 wide, took forever. These are on the bottom surfaces, plus you can reach in there and pull stuff out. Then a combo of air pressure, long brush, kinda like a bottle washing brush, and the garden hose pressure, to blast out the rust flakes in there. Had almost 10 pounds of accumulated rust flakes on driveway. Took three times to get it clean.

Then I did a mix of homemade WAXOYL (do internet search)

-3 tiolet rings

-2 qts mineral spirits

-2 qts bar chain oil

grind the tiolet rings into flakes in 5 gallon bucket, then with drill paint bit gently mix the other liquids in. Then if you dont have to use right away, let sit sealed in direct sun several days, it warms it up and blends better. Mix it the consistency of thick pudding, as thick as you can get it to spray. It really does better thick then thin and runny (it will end up on yourdriveway) You want it to CLING onto surfaces......

You mix in a contianer, doesnt mean I got five gallons of it, just easier to handle...............

***I would not heat up on heated surface, aka stove, this is flameable***

***do at your own risk***

remix it before use

Now buy a hand pressured garden sprayer, will be a throw away, pour liquid in.

Hand pump pressure up, and get under jeep and spray away thru holes in frame rails, wand will go in several feet into frame rails, if you get good at it. You will have to keep pressure up to get good spray pattern. work your way front to back, I also painted my axles with brush, stops/seals rust pretty good.

if you want to scrap away loose rust.

Several caveats:

wear old clothes

wear gloves

wear safety glasses

be careful of fumes

Being mainly oil and beeswax, this will wipe down pretty good in cleanup. But I wouldnt let it sit on skin for long periods.

If you ever brush against it while working under jeep just wipes away off skin, clothes you have to launder.

learned this from some northern jeepers, heck some of them used old motor oil.

also driveway will get sticky if you overspary too much, but power washer and detergent will easily clean up.

I am getting ready another batch, in 5 gal bucket and let it sit until Sept, in this heat it will blend better, looks like caramel. Usally costs @50 or less, including sprayer.

Quick Reply: Frame rust, under carraige , one possible solution :)