Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Freedom Top panels vs Bikini Top

Old 06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hxxp://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/32212

consider wade skytop?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
You don't have to remove the door surrounds. I have my Freedom Panels on right now with the door surrounds on as well. The only thing you have to remove are the front and middle screw handles because they get in the way.
I need to see a photo of that...don't the door surrounds and the freedom panels occupy the same space at the top of the door? I don't see how they could possibly be on at the same time...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a question of full coverage (bikini with door surrounds) or partial coverage (2 front panels). I found out the hard way that w/out door surrounds and bikini top you get what I call the waterfall effect. You push the water off of the sagging bikini top and it pours off into the gap between your doors and bikini top where the surrounds go. Then you get the wet-ass! Anger sets in and finally acceptance... Something else to consider: If you need the "trunk space" you might not want to crowd it up with the freedom panels as they do fit in the 4 door trunk space but take up quite a bit of room. The windshield channel for the bestop bikini can be left on the bikini and quickly rolled up with the bikini and stowed in the trunk space. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I got a 4dr... with the bikini top on and the duster... doesn't get too wet in the rig. Also, I always pack the top and throw it in the trunk.. or under the rear seat. I always leave the header on. No problems with space. I don't like my panels lying in the rig as they take up a lot of space and are more prone to breakage.
I think separating the bikini from the channel is hard work considering the button closure takes WAY too long when you're trying to escape a sudden summer rain. JUST MY .02
Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chainboy1
On one hand you already have the Freedom Panels so why spend the money. On the other hand if for some reason you would want to take them off while you are out the bikini top would be easy to take off and fold up. If you don't think you'd take it off I wouldn't waste the money.
freedom panels come off just as easy and store in the trunk...no folding necessary
Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

I'v got the Best Top bikini. Sometimes I go with freedom panels. Sometimes nada. Pros and cons all around. One BIG pro with the bikini, it looks awesome!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tron7960
I'v got the Best Top bikini. Sometimes I go with freedom panels. Sometimes nada. Pros and cons all around. One BIG pro with the bikini, it looks awesome!

Soft tops RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

You don't have to remove the door surrounds. I have my Freedom Panels on right now with the door surrounds on as well. The only thing you have to remove are the front and middle screw handles because they get in the way.
Huh. Didn't realize that. I'll have to take a look at it later.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

I have the dual top group. I was considering buying a bikini top, then started asking myself why I should buy a bikini top when I could just use the front Freedom Top panels by themselves (ie, a simulated bikini top). Any thoughts about the advantages or disadvantages of a true soft bikini top versus just using the two front Freedom Panels without the back portion of the hardtop?
I got the bikini top and love it. Mines completely waterproof and I'd say the main issue is storage if you were to use the freedom top panels. they take up alot of room compared to a rolled up bikini top
Old 06-12-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

those things ever fall on u as a result of a bump or anything? aren't those 2 thumb screws the only things holding those down? just curious. i wanted to run the panels as well, but i have the channels installed and thought that they wouldn't fit. i haven't tried it yet but now i will!

Quick Reply: Freedom Top panels vs Bikini Top