Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Diff Change - enough fluid?

Old 07-09-2023, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff Change - enough fluid?

OK - maybe a dumb question but I'm a new Jeep owner. I acquired a 2014 Wrangler with Dana 30 front axle. I am changing my diff oil for the first time. Draining was no problem. When filling, however, the front differential took 32 ounces before it started coming out the fill hole. I've seen specs saying the 30 takes 2.1 pints (33.6 oz) to fill and another saying 2.5 pints (40 oz). Assuming 2.1 pints is accurate (I don't think it would ever take 2.5 pints) am I good only getting 32 into it or should I be squeezing another ounce in and quickly capping it off? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2023, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 364 Likes on 340 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Good question considering some variables.. Was your rig Level? There is fluid in the axle tubes when you drain which if the diff is new would not be present so more would be needed.. general rule is fill till it seeps back out and they install the plug. One could lift the front and maybe squeeze in another ounce. I have done ours and it didn't take 32 oz to get to filled; didn't check how much was left in the Amsoil bag.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

if you have the factory diff cover, 2.1 pints is what you should do. some folks will have an aftermarket diff cover that might make that OEM spec enough oil, but at that point you're at a guessing game.

Quick Reply: Front Diff Change - enough fluid?