Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Diff Leakage

Old 02-13-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff Leakage

Noticed I was getting some spots on my driveway about a week ago. Got up underneath and found that my front diff has a slow leak. I know dealerships charge an arm and a leg for these kinds of things and I'm pretty sure I can do the seal and fluid change myself, however, I'm limited on tools and to my driveway. Anybody have an suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-977180773.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	530646  
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TreyJkOrlando
Noticed I was getting some spots on my driveway about a week ago. Got up underneath and found that my front diff has a slow leak. I know dealerships charge an arm and a leg for these kinds of things and I'm pretty sure I can do the seal and fluid change myself, however, I'm limited on tools and to my driveway. Anybody have an suggestions?
Clean the old oil off and see if it comes back. Could just be residual oil from the last change. If it is in fact leaking, it's not a big deal at all to change. I use lube-lockers instead of rtv sealant (either is fine). You just need one of those, a socket set (someone here will know what size) and a torque wrench. And oil of course. I use 75w90 front and 75w140 rear but most use 75w90 front and rear.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Clean the old oil off and see if it comes back. Could just be residual oil from the last change. If it is in fact leaking, it's not a big deal at all to change. I use lube-lockers instead of rtv sealant (either is fine). You just need one of those, a socket set (someone here will know what size) and a torque wrench. And oil of course. I use 75w90 front and 75w140 rear but most use 75w90 front and rear.
Any specific rules I need to go by? Just take her off, put the seal on and fill her up?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Search for a write up on here I'm sure it exists. I know there's one on project jk
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7...hange-Write-Up
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Before you take anything apart...

Make sure the cover bolts are not loose. Then clean off the residue and see if it continues to leak.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

First, make sure your cover bolts are all tight. One may have loosened up and caused the leak. Don't overtighten these though, 30 ft/lbs is all you need. If you do take the cover off to replace the RTV or Lubelocker, you might as well clean out the inside of the differential real well with brake cleaner. Now would be a good time to replace the cover with a stronger aftermarket cover if you want (the stock cover may be bent). Then refill with new gear oil.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Got it. Thanks guys, much appreciated

Quick Reply: Front Diff Leakage