Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front end rattle

Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end rattle

I've got a 2012 stock sport, 17000 miles. Started to get a rattle in the front end you only felt in the wheel at first. After a week it actually caused a noise in the column. The dealer said it was the lower intermediated shaft which they replaced. By the time I got home it was rattling again! I haven't even been off road yet! Any ideas what I should be looking at for a cause?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check shock bolts and draglink joints. I had a loose shock at like 2500km and im at 20,000 and my draglink ball joints are worn out, causes a knocking noise/feeling in the font end over bumps.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I'll check that. Just found the thread titled 2012 rubi rattle. Sounds similar to what I'm hearing but what I'm feeling in the wheel sounds more likely like what you're describing.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been trying to trace my draglink problem for months before it became bad enough for me to diagnose. I finally had my girlfriend rock the wheel back and forth and i could feel it when i grabbed the draglink. After studying the joints i did notice i could see a slight bit of lap play. Mine is a 2011 by the way. Good luck to ya its frustrating trying to pinpoint problems sometimes.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2008 sport was doing the same thing; dealer said, "that's normal. it's a jeep and it is going to get rattles."
1) I've had 4 jeeps and this one was the only one that rattled
2) "someone" was dodging warranty work I bet

Good luck man, it's frustrating...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Update, took it back to the dealer and told him about what I read on the forum. I made him drive it and he looked at me like he couldn't believe he was now experiencing what I was describing. Well, I have it back and no rattle! Just like the post titled "rubi rattle". In the column related to the airbag installation.

Quick Reply: Front end rattle