Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel gauge reads empty, won't start

Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel gauge reads empty, won't start

My mostly stock 2009 JKU Rubicon has a little over 100,000 trouble-free miles. I haven't driven it for about 3 weeks, as I was away on a motorcycle trip.

I was going to drive it on Tuesday this week. Tried to crank it and the starter just spun the engine with no firing. Fuel gauge read empty, which could only have been true if the fuel had leaked out, and there was no sign of leak. I added a couple of gallons of fuel just to be sure. Gauge still reads empty, engine still turns over briskly but does not fire or start.

The Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) warning light is on. Looks something like this: )z(

I did the ignition key "three times" maneuver to get the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), which is P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit High.

I checked the fuel pump fuse and it is good.

Clearly, I have some circuit troubleshooting to do, but before I commence, I am appealing to the forum for any wisdom. I have searched and found some related threads, but nothing that seems quite to be applicable.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 08-05-2017, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might sound crazy but try shaking or bouncing the Jeep to get the fuel sloshing around in the tank to agitate the fuel sending unit.

Also can try to "reboot" the computer by removing the battery ground cable for about 10 minutes.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn key to "On", do you hear pump cycle and pressurize ?
Do you have mice, wire chewing critters that could have gotten fuel tank wiring ??
They find unused vehicles attractive nesting places

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge reads empty, won't start