Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel injector problems

Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel injector problems

We have a 2008 Wrangler with 47,000 miles on it and have spent around $1500 getting injectors replaced. Last three years almost like clockwork one injector goes bad causing a check engine light, then the once every 10 second ding, ding, and the easy to identify missing cylinder contribution. I was near beating the living crap out of it today after this happened again. I know it's a 2008 so not new by any means, but is it normal every year to have one injector go bad, or are we in the minority? I like this Jeep, but every time this happens I get a little more pissed off. I have a 1997 Ford diesel truck I haven't put $0.10 in repairs, but $1.00 premium for diesel, the other expenses, make it "that stupid truck" to me. On top of that we've had about 15 faults covered under warranty by the drivetrain warranty. 20 or so failures in 47,000 miles?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I have not seen much forum traffic about injectors going bad.
Is the dealer doing the troubleshooting and replacement?
If so, have they told you what is bad about each injector?

Do you have any of the old injectors?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

They haven't really said what goes wrong with them, and I don't have them, but each one has been the exact same failure scenerio to a tee. Jeep runs fine, turn it off, then next start, get the idle rattle and noticable shake and easy to feel missing of one cylinder, immediate check engine light and the every 10 second ding, ding, ding.
Every one works the same way, let the engine cool overnight, disconnect the battery to turn off the code, the Jeep will run perfect for 1 mile or 1000 miles as long as you don't shut off the engine. Shut it off, the injector will not work, the shake, the check engine light, the every 10 second ding, ding. I can live with the light and the miss ect, but that ding, ding every 10 seconds again. Damn that is annoying. My fists are still clenched, annoying is a mild term for the listening of that ding, ding every 10 seconds.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If they are fixing it each time on your dime, you can have them give you the old injector.
Next time, would you consider sending me the old injector? (Preferably without the dealer having tampered with it.)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for the win......how tough is it to replace injectors on these motors? The OP may be cheaper off just replacing the rest of his injectors.

Any fuel additives used? It doesn't sound like a fuel issue though. Are the wires secure on each injector??

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Just had 1 injector replaced on my 2008 with 59k miles by a non dealer mechanic. After reading the code he changed plugs, wires and coil, before finally determining it was an injector. Although no check engine light, the jeep just doesn't feel the same as it used to, almost like another cylinder is missing slightly at idle. I guess I need to pay a visit to a dealership for a better diagnosis.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Scott9413
Just had 1 injector replaced on my 2008 with 59k miles by a non dealer mechanic. After reading the code he changed plugs, wires and coil, before finally determining it was an injector. Although no check engine light, the jeep just doesn't feel the same as it used to, almost like another cylinder is missing slightly at idle. I guess I need to pay a visit to a dealership for a better diagnosis.
I know this thread is multiple years old, but I am now having the same exact problem. Multiple "injector failures" 6 months apart, changed said injectors by a mechanic and now 2008 Jeep just doesn't feel like it is running right. Let me know if you were able to get to the root of the problem.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Interesting. I have a 2008 with 80K but have not had this problem. I would like to know more just in case.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

On my 2008, I can only assume all 6 injectors were just in a bad batch of build, and all failed the exact same way, same scenerio. The way ours played out was same every failure, everything working great, then out of the blue on a cold start, one injector would not work, throwing a definate code for that injector. Once heated up long enough and a few hot starts, the injector would regain ability to work and would work at that point forever provided you never let the engine cool down at which point the problem would return. We went through this on 4 of the 6 injectors, all whithin about a 6 month period. We decided to get a new 2014, which has had no injector troubles thankfully.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

I have gone down the rabbit hole with my 08 and think I have finally come up with a clue. I've replaced spark plugs, fuel coil pack, i have new spark plug boots on as well. The rough idle still persisted but after driving on the freeway I finally got a CEL. The code I pulled was P0405 code. That correlates to the EGR valve and would make sense to me for the rough idle. I'm not 100% that a bad EGR valve could lead to blown fuel injectors but it would make sense if it had been bad for a while and is just now throwing the code. I'm gonna replace the EGR valve and see if that finally fixes the problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector problems