JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   full doors vs. half doors........ (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/full-doors-vs-half-doors-126515/)

will21190 04-15-2010 07:42 AM

full doors vs. half doors........

thinking about purchasing a new jk but was debating on wether or not i should order full or half doors. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of each were such as price, etc.......thanks

Tweakecho 04-15-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by will21190 (Post 1654796)
thinking about purchasing a new jk but was debating on wether or not i should order full or half doors. I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of each were such as price, etc.......thanks

Take this advice and get both!

Half doors Look So great with the top down in Summer and spring, Makes the jeeps feel right!
Full doors are great for winter driving with top up!

I do live in the south and have mild winters! I wish i had got both, i went with the full door and now am paying for it! I want half doors but so expensive!

JeepTrav 04-15-2010 07:52 AM

I would go with full doors (unless you want to pay for both like post above, would be great!), but if you just do one, then full.

Full doors are nice to have with the top up and winters. They have reall windows you can roll down for drive throughs. They also are quieter. If you are running with the top off, just take them off and go doorless (That's what I do). Jeep looks its BEST with no top or door IMO.

Either way, glad to hear you are getting a new Jeep, ENJOY!! :thumbsup:

AU94 04-15-2010 07:55 AM

Full doors for me. I've never understood the difference between half doors and no doors.

JeepTrav 04-15-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by AU94 (Post 1654818)
Full doors for me. I've never understood the difference between half doors and no doors.

About half a door... :bleh: JK buddy!

Tweakecho 04-15-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by JeepTrav (Post 1654839)

LMAO I love the look of the lines of jk and all jeeps with half doors! don't get me wrong I have full doors but also run doorless most of the time!

scouter4life 04-15-2010 08:33 AM

Re: full doors vs. half doors........

i would get the full doors then purchase bar doors. There are many options out there and a lot less then buying half doors, this way you still get the best of both.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

AU94 04-15-2010 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JeepTrav (Post 1654839)

LMAO!:clap:

saltman 04-15-2010 09:46 AM

Half doors are the only way to go.

Full doors on the JK are HUGE and akward. They look horrible with the top down and ruin the whole open top experience. The metal comes up so high on the door that it is awkward putting your arm on the door when driving. Much lower with the half doors. They take up much more room when storing also.

Half doors are tremendously more maneuverable when taking on and off. They have the classic Jeep look.

I have both and only used the full doors for 3 months this year during the winter. I will probably not put them on next year. Ice sticks to the glass and not the half doors. Full doors are a little quieter but not enough to have to deal with all their shortcomings.

also half door jeeps won't have a lot of the electronic gadgetry that full door jeeps usually have like power windows, alarm ,etc. It's more of a true Jeep thing.

JK-Tex 04-15-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by JeepTrav (Post 1654812)
I would go with full doors (unless you want to pay for both like post above, would be great!), but if you just do one, then full.

Full doors are nice to have with the top up and winters. They have reall windows you can roll down for drive throughs. They also are quieter. If you are running with the top off, just take them off and go doorless (That's what I do). Jeep looks its BEST with no top or door IMO.

Either way, glad to hear you are getting a new Jeep, ENJOY!! :thumbsup:

+1. Half-doors have tremendous emotional appeal, but limited practicality for a daily driver. I would love to have both, but full makes more sense if you can only have one.

Jekyll2000 04-15-2010 10:10 AM

Half Doors

I would say it depends on where you live. I have half doors and yes they are louder than full doors but I didn't find them to be too bad over the winter. Definitely like the looks with the top down and half doors.

db09JKU 04-15-2010 10:23 AM

Not a huge fan of them, had them on my YJ. I need the security of the full door and hard top during the week, due to things needing to be secure while at work or on job sites.

I would, and did go with full doors. I would like to buy some of the rear (4-door), tube doors for the kids, but probably won't, so they can just enjoy the nothingness, which is more classic Jeep, IMO.

fadeout 04-15-2010 10:23 AM

agree on it depends where you live... I'm in an extermly Urban area and the full doors give me a little extra piece of mind (even if it is only a little). Plus I have no where to store the full doors on a long term basis. Would I love half doors??? you bet, but it's just not gonna happen unless I move or get a house with more room.

rvator 04-15-2010 11:55 AM

I just sold my full door 07 and now looking for a half door unlimited. If you like half doors at all get them on your new jeep. You can find used full doors at junkyards but not many half doors. I saw a set of 4 fulls on ebay for 3k. I bet you could even find lots of guys willing to trade if you didn't like the half doors.

will21190 04-15-2010 12:46 PM

Do half doors cost more than full doors when u order a jk?

Jiblet 04-15-2010 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by will21190 (Post 1655241)

probably less. but they don't come on the Sahara (do they still make Sahara? I keep hearing Islander again)

half door upper windows are zippered up and down, no power option.

Depending on what kinds of options you like it may be easier to order full doors the *try* to get some half doors (well, factory ones are hard to come by, there are lots of non factory half doors on the aftermarket). If you don't care about power this and that order the half and find some used fulls.

Phantasm 04-15-2010 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by saltman (Post 1654977)
Half doors are the only way to go.

Full doors on the JK are HUGE and akward. They look horrible with the top down and ruin the whole open top experience. The metal comes up so high on the door that it is awkward putting your arm on the door when driving. Much lower with the half doors. They take up much more room when storing also.

I'm 6'3" and find them very comfortable for my arm, and at an athletic 220lbs have no problem moving the doors either, but not everyone is freakishly large like me :<)

saltman 04-15-2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by will21190 (Post 1655241)

They are the same price.

Power option is not available with half doors.
Security is not available with half doors.
Hard Top is not available with half doors.

fadeout 04-15-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by saltman (Post 1655313)
They are the same price.

not true... there is actually a -$500 option with the selection of getting half doors instead of full ones.

saltman 04-15-2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by fadeout (Post 1655364)
not true... there is actually a -$500 option with the selection of getting half doors instead of full ones.

you are correct with the Unlimited. Incorrect with a 2dr. I didn't realize there was a difference. :thumbsup:

Fathom 04-15-2010 06:01 PM

Expensive, but both sets are ideal IMHO.
Winter
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...chmentid=58183

Summer
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...chmentid=54872
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...chmentid=55629

This is my daily driver now and though fine in the winter it's a real blast in the summer. The half doors feel almost like doorless and yet you can lock them (electrically) and arm the alarm with the remote. No there is no electric windows but the doors do work with the hardtop but I have no idea why you would want that. Soft top is great as far as nice days and either sun roof or fully down position but I have never liked the freedom top that much as I have no room for the panels if I ever do take them off. Soft top is much noisier so that might affect your decision but I like it!

kingteddybear 04-15-2010 08:56 PM

Full doors or no doors for us. I just can't see a urban / city daily driver without full metal doors. In my area I have yet to see a Jeep with half doors on the untamed city streets, sure would like to.

Jiblet 04-16-2010 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fathom (Post 1655676)
Expensive, but both sets are ideal IMHO. ...

*drooling* very nice. I am still waiting on the half door kits (for two years now).

Did you start with full and obtain the halfs? or vice versa?

saltman 04-16-2010 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 1656033)
*drooling* very nice. I am still waiting on the half door kits (for two years now).

Did you start with full and obtain the halfs? or vice versa?

He started with the fulls because he has the electronic gadgetry. That is not an option when you order your Jeep with the half doors.

wtowen 04-16-2010 09:58 AM

I have full doors, but want to get half doors asap.

My thoughts:
Full doors are great for winter. They are quiet, relatively secure, and much much, more practical. They can have electric locks and windows, if you want. Real windows are also better for drive thrus etc.

Half doors look far better with the top down, IMO. I do not like the look of the jeep with full doors and the top off. Front doors off, back doors on looks as bad or worse. I do not take the back doors off because of the kids. I think front doors off, half back doors would look great too.

Half doors are much more open. With the full doors, the jeeps feels closed and clausterphobic, IMO, compared to older jeeps or to my convertable. Jeep feels more like it just has a big sunroof rather than all open like my convertable.

Half door uppers can be stored in the jeep (i do hear they take up alot of room). This is huge issue for me. I love being doorless, but rarely get to because our forecast is so often "sunny, with a chance of scattered afternoon thundershowers". I would hate to be stuck at work with dress clothes on and no doors in a storm. With halfs I could put on the uppers if needed. Also, I could easily remove the uppers if I'm out and it turns sunny. This would be especially nice to be able to do on trips, where removing the full doors is often not practical.

I still prefer doorless to half doors, but halfs would be almost as good and much better than being stuck with full doors most of the time. Plus I could have halfs in the back even when I was front doorless and the kids would get a more open feel and the jeep would look much better.

CrazyCasey 04-16-2010 10:13 AM

there is no good answer to this quesion... the only win win is to spend the extra 3000 for both

dmhines 04-16-2010 10:48 AM

We had a cold Winter in Georgia this year ... and had no issue with half-doors and soft-top. The only point I see to full-doors and/or hard-tops is interior sound quality ....

JK-Tex 04-16-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dmhines (Post 1656668)
We had a cold Winter in Georgia this year ... and had no issue with half-doors and soft-top. The only point I see to full-doors and/or hard-tops is interior sound quality ....

And security. And convenience if you have to go in and out of a parking garage twice a day and would rather not have to unzip your windows every time.

saltman 04-16-2010 11:08 AM

You are supposed to drive your car to work. Jeeps are for off pavement silly. :)

Jiblet 04-16-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by saltman (Post 1656710)
You are supposed to drive your car to work. Jeeps are for off pavement silly. :)

:beer::beer:

jwilson2598 04-16-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fathom (Post 1655676)
Expensive, but both sets are ideal IMHO.

Agreed 100%. Took me a while to get over sticker shock, but I finally pulled the trigger as I missed the halfs I had for summer on my LJ greatly. I love them because I can pull the uppers/sun rider for a quick ride even if weather is on the horizon. They're also nice because they make my wife feel more comfortable than doorless, and she's OK with the little guy with them as well. I too have the power locks hooked up in the half doors since it's lets you lock them and set the alarm for a tiny bit of extra security.:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwilson25/i...r/jeepsnow.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jwilson25/i...gler/beach.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jwilson25/i...er/topless.jpg

kingteddybear 04-16-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by saltman (Post 1656710)

But our Jeep cries :crybaby: when I don't drive it every day.

Fathom 04-16-2010 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by wtowen (Post 1656582)
I have full doors, but want to get half doors asap.

My thoughts:
Full doors are great for winter. They are quiet, relatively secure, and much much, more practical. They can have electric locks and windows, if you want. Real windows are also better for drive thrus etc.

Half doors look far better with the top down, IMO. I do not like the look of the jeep with full doors and the top off. Front doors off, back doors on looks as bad or worse. I do not take the back doors off because of the kids. I think front doors off, half back doors would look great too.

Half doors are much more open. With the full doors, the jeeps feels closed and clausterphobic, IMO, compared to older jeeps or to my convertable. Jeep feels more like it just has a big sunroof rather than all open like my convertable.

Half door uppers can be stored in the jeep (i do hear they take up alot of room). This is huge issue for me. I love being doorless, but rarely get to because our forecast is so often "sunny, with a chance of scattered afternoon thundershowers". I would hate to be stuck at work with dress clothes on and no doors in a storm. With halfs I could put on the uppers if needed. Also, I could easily remove the uppers if I'm out and it turns sunny. This would be especially nice to be able to do on trips, where removing the full doors is often not practical.

I still prefer doorless to half doors, but halfs would be almost as good and much better than being stuck with full doors most of the time. Plus I could have halfs in the back even when I was front doorless and the kids would get a more open feel and the jeep would look much better.

Daily driving winter fulls are the only way to go. Turns the jk into (dare I say it) a nice quiet car (with the hardtop).

Summer, with the soft top and half doors it's ON! Loud, rumbly and just a great drive. Better than any other SUV out there even those that operate at 10db! It even drives better with a little less weight. It does occasionally rain and with the half doors on you just put on the uppers (which stow nicely in a optional soft case and can be hung from the sides or tail if you have nets). Security, fogedaboutit. Well sorta, any tom DICK or harry can get into the jk. For an extra $80 you can add electric locks to the half doors and use the built in security system (on the Rubi). I also added the Tuffy rear security door to the storage area which I feel is about as secure as any vehicle.

I really enjoy my half doors. It's all part of the total experience!:thumbsup:

junoh 04-16-2010 10:47 PM

After 1 winter in colorado with 1/2 doors (2dr) i had no issues. It actually rides quieter than my old tj with full doors. The full door might be nice and even quieter, but I love the 1/2 in summer, and no space to store both.
The security is an issue though, my jeep gets "broken into" almost every year(including the tj)
i don't leave anything in it, they never take my flash light, and what ever they take is still cheaper to replace than the soft top.

Blackbeard 04-17-2010 01:29 PM

I'm a Full Door and Half Door Jeeper too! Full Doors in the Winter, when my Soft Top is up all of the time, and Half Doors the rest of the year, when my Soft Top is down. It's the only way to go!

My advice would be, BUY BOTH! It'd be easier to Finance them with the Jeep purchase, than it would be to buy them separately.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Waiting 04-17-2010 03:20 PM

Buy the halves! Buy the halves! Buy the halves! Buy the halves!
Keep them for an entire year and determine if the full doors would be better for you. If the full doors are better for you, trade for them and take cash back. Those half doors are a very prized possession. Just look around the for sale and wanted sections.

Highlander 04-18-2010 05:58 PM

I have the 1/2 doors and I was a little worried about it ,but when I bought my Jk it was mid winter and was like 10° when I test drove and bought it. I didn't get cold once in the jeep, of course the heater is super. As far as going thru drive thrus and stuff the zipper is just as easy as rolling it up and down, unless you have power. Today I found out just how easy the top 1/2 comes off, it is just getting warm enough to enjoy the soft top, but that is sweet how they just come off. so I am glad I got the 1/2 doors. IMO. I would feel a lot better with 1/2 doors than no doors while driving down the hiway, I wear shorts all summer and don't want stuff coming in towards my feet and legs.

fred21nym 06-19-2010 12:22 AM

get the full doors and order some half doors.....when i bought my jeep there were none left with full doors and now there is no way for me to buy them however there are plenty of options out there for half doors to buy

RubiKing 06-29-2010 09:45 AM

I regret not getting half doors. If you like to drive with the top down, get half doors.

Johnny HotFoot 03-21-2012 07:23 PM

I'm Jones'n for half doors, my top's been down goin on three days now and I am hating on my full doors. I got through an easy Michigan winter with my hardtop under wraps in the garage, I'm a top down guy. I NEED half doors.

Have any new options come along? It sounds like factory big buck is the way to pimp the electronic door locks.