Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gap between windshield and dash... lost stuff?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gap between windshield and dash... lost stuff?

How would someone get something that fell down there? Also... the defrost vent on the top of the dash right in front of the gap... are those two passageways connected?

I have an odd metal jingling sound that happens when my heater/AC is on full blast and I suspect that something has fallen down through the vent or the gap next to it.

Is there a way to see what is in there without taking the whole dash apart?

Note: I have a 2010 jk
The following users liked this post:
holstein83 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There are horror stories about "The Windshield Black Hole." Good luck retrieving your stuff.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

6 lighters, 2 pens and a key to my wife's Caravan
Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't recall how many items have heard the Lemming's siren call and jumped off the ledge. I think it's a portal to another dimension - nothing ever hits bottom and nothing rattles around behind there... odd.

I've seen a couple posts about a length of PVC pipe and/or pipe insulation along that to prevent stuff from falling in.
holstein83 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

I was out wheelin with the doors off and rock came off the front tire, bounced off the pillar right beside me, hit the windshield, and entered the black hole never to be seen or heard about again. Not sure where it went and never went searching since it didn't seem to cause any damage.

Seems to me you would have to take most of the dash off to get to wherever that hold leads. Good luck in your search!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost hole retrieval

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4
I was out wheelin with the doors off and rock came off the front tire, bounced off the pillar right beside me, hit the windshield, and entered the black hole never to be seen or heard about again. Not sure where it went and never went searching since it didn't seem to cause any damage.

Seems to me you would have to take most of the dash off to get to wherever that hold leads. Good luck in your search!
seems to me that when the winshield is hinged down to the hood that that area is then exposed & items can be retrieved..... anyone else know of that working? I will be putting down my winshield when the 4th of july comes around & will be driving around with a full face helmut.... In the past that has upped my gas mileage by 4 miles per gallon.... I have put the "armaflex" pipe sunsullation in the black hole & nothing can fall into the hole.... I purchased 1/2 inch inside diameter with 1/2 inch wall thickness that was closed (no open seam).... good luck.... Jim S..
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4

uh oh your screwed...this is the true reason people get death wobble...
Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8mm socket fell in the black hole, I didn't hear it for a couple of years but now it's an everyday sound. Ha! Going on 4yrs now, I don't mind the sound.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get yourself a piece of insulation pipe wrap (the gray foam stuff) and cut it to the length of the gap.

There is a thread somewhere here on the topic. Did this almost 2 years ago and it works great!

If you want I will post a pick tomorrow
Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the foam piece. Have had the gap sealed for years, after the first pen was lost. Folding the windshield may be more difficult then you think. Read all threads on this before you do it...please. Now to try and see what's down there, look from the outside (hood side)down with a bright flashlight. If the item is magnetic, use a magnet on a string. If not, try some sticky tape on a wire to attempt a retreival. Be patient. I don't believe the items will interfere or bother anything...but the driver, that is.
Johnnyhatesjazz (12-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Gap between windshield and dash... lost stuff?