Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

gap at upper, rearward passenger doors after install softop

Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gap at upper, rearward passenger doors after install softop

hi, all. Finally had the time and weather to remove the hardtop and put up the soft top on a 2012 JKU

After some 3 three hours of cussing, youtubing, googling and forum reading i got it set up

Now the only thing is a gap where airflow and water can get in.

At the top and rearward where the passenger door (eighter side) the softtop windows leave a gap.
I have tried to set it ( the softop window) up as high as possible and velcro it in but when I tug down to lock in place, when tabs insert the pull the softtop windows (on either side) down and leave a good 1inch gap . It looks like the softtop window should cover it but

a. the tops of the hardened plastic liner seems to stick out. DO I need to bend it in?
b. the soft top seems too short to pulled that hard. Is this just going to need more streching?

AGain, ive tried to read these forum, youtubed so any pointers or advice, much appreciated?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Pictures for the problem stated above

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0018.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	310542

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0019.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	310543

To clarify I took some picsl

Any help much appreicatied
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things it looks like to me.

That fold from the side panel needs to be pushed flat and rolled into the top panel. Push it in a bit and pull that top panel over the velcro a inch or two more. Park out in the sun to let the top get nice and stretchy.

That vertical running clip(90 degree plastic edge) on the forward edge of the side panel needs to be fully recessed into a chamfer on the door surround.

I usually get the zipper started a couple inches, stretch the window onto the tub, fold the plastic edge into the vertical edge on the door surround, finish zipping, and stretch the velcro from the top panel over.

Hope that helps bud, bump for more input

The second pic looks right to me, but I have half doors.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
Two things it looks like to me.

That vertical running clip(90 degree plastic edge) on the forward edge of the side panel needs to be fully recessed into a chamfer on the door surround.
I see the recessed area in the door but how do I get it to stay there

I usually get the zipper started a couple inches, stretch the window onto the tub, fold the plastic edge into the vertical edge on the door surround, finish zipping, and stretch the velcro from the top panel over.
So you do the top velcro last?
I tried that and it just wont pull up more with the plastic tabs at the bottom are hooked up.

From everything IM reading sounds maybe I did it bit too early in the season, whether in the 50's or so but now nice and 80's

Again Thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

the leading edge of the window needs to be tucked into the door suround. with the door closed you should not see any of the stiches. start the zipper on the window to about 3 inches, then tuck the leading edge into the door suround from top to bottom. you might have to start the bottom of the window to get it to stay. finish with the bottom side and zip it some more, go back and make sure the leading edge is staying in and finish zipping and velcro shut.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisuser
I see the recessed area in the door but how do I get it to stay there

So you do the top velcro last?
I tried that and it just wont pull up more with the plastic tabs at the bottom are hooked up.

From everything IM reading sounds maybe I did it bit too early in the season, whether in the 50's or so but now nice and 80's

Again Thanks for the help
The vertical running edge on the side panel will stay on its own when fastened all the way.

I do the velcro on the top and sides very last, to stretch it over the side panels. Absolutely helps to have the top in the sun, and get those side panels on before the sun goes down, or its not worth trying.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

got it fixed.

Turns out I missed the obvious thing about how the soft top relied on recess to create tension, ie I never noticed the recessed groove and then the help steps mention seeing only once set of stitches I assumed this meant when the door is closed and not that once you have tucked in the hardended ridge which has sttiches, you will see only one stitched row once the other has been tucked in.

has anydone a faq on this?

Quick Reply: gap at upper, rearward passenger doors after install softop