Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas Cap Alarm-Help

Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cap Alarm-Help

So I just got my first Wrangler last week and I have a gas cap alarm that has come on. I just installed a new fuel door which I’m assuming is the problem. The fuel door came with a new gasket seal so I took off the OEM gasket but thinking back on it I don’t think those seals were identical. Is the gas cap supposed to meet directly at that seal to prevent leaking? I installed the fuel door on Saturday, drove it Saturday night and all day Sunday without the alarm. The alarm just came on this morning when I started the Jeep to come to work (Monday morning). Any suggestions or thoughts on this?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Hard to say without understanding the alarm setup but those gas cap covers are typically just cosmetic and really don't guarantee a seal between the body sheet metal and the gas cap cover since they just kind of pop in there and aren't screwed down to the sheet metal.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

By "alarm" do you mean a gas cap warning on your dash? If so, I get those all the time. I replaced my cap and it stopped for a while and now it comes back occasionally. It's the seal of the cap that seems to be the issue. When it shows up, I just hop out and retighten my cap and it goes off in a couple of days.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the alarm come on the other day. Cap seemed tight. I unscrewed it, and put it back on, and the light went out in a few minutes. No idea why the alarm came on, the cap was tight to start with.

Bob R

Quick Reply: Gas Cap Alarm-Help