Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas tank missing gallons?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Anyone ever run the gas down till the computer said 0? I know Jeremy and the guys from Top Gear did a special on how far each could go in their choice if a car under 15000 pounds. They did it and two of them ran off of 0 Miles left until empty for a good bit of time.
I want to but can't because my o7 says 30 miles left and when it gets to 25 it says fuel low that's all:/
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah

As mentioned, the light will come and go depending on the angle of the vehicle from level. Best I've been able to estimate, in the '12 JKU, the light comes on when there is between 1-2 gals; closer to 2 than to 1.

I also have experienced the "disappearing gas" phenomenon and once even accused my wife of having driven the JK without my knowledge , taking it down to the point of triggering the fuel light; I don't recommend this as a general marital strategy.
Ok, for the sake of argument lets consider the jeep is level. But by this logic you stated, when the light comes on and I "should" have 1-2 gal left I've never filled up more than 19 gallons max in 5 years of ownership. My build sheet says 23gal tank. Maybe it's really 21? I'm just curious if I can modify anything to get more accurate readings or more possibly get those missing 3-4 gallons back? I feel robbed hahaha
Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
I want to but can't because my o7 says 30 miles left and when it gets to 25 it says fuel low that's all:/
ditto. i will say that its a fair amount. because i'm notorious for running my vehicles out of fuel. i've run a good bit past low fuel. that light is key. its one of the few amenities i actually am really glad jeep put in. i could care less about all the digital read outs, outside temp, mpg, air conditioning, buttons on my steering wheel. but the light that reminds me i need gas is awesome (haven't always had one on my vehicles). i'm real forgetful and that light is great.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just wanted to throw this in the mix...(some engineering did you know)

In general automotive fuel pumps are cooled by the surrounding gasoline in the tank. So if you looking to do some testing to the bitter end of your fuel, I suggest doing it in the winter in Wisconsin, not West Texas in the summer.

Also the "Trash" in your fuel settles to the bottom of the tank. Yes, there's filter or 2, so not horrible to run your tank down. But I wouldn't apply the scientific method to find out your range if you know what I mean. Do it to your friends Jeep.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
But by this logic you stated, when the light comes on and I "should" have 1-2 gal left I've never filled up more than 19 gallons max in 5 years of ownership. My build sheet says 23gal tank. Maybe it's really 21? I'm just curious if I can modify anything to get more accurate readings or more possibly get those missing 3-4 gallons back? I feel robbed hahaha
I just did a quick search, and two different posts indicate that in the '12 JKU, the tank size is 22.5 gal. I'm pretty sure that I've filled up with more than 20 gals before, but I cannot recall with precision how many miles I had travelled since the fuel light came on. So....you may be right; perhaps the amount left in the tank when the light comes on is closer to 2-3 gals.
But...(obviously) you're taking a chance if you seek to determine how far you can go once the light comes on. Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, member FDIC, etc., etc.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huntphreak
I just wanted to throw this in the mix...(some engineering did you know)

In general automotive fuel pumps are cooled by the surrounding gasoline in the tank. So if you looking to do some testing to the bitter end of your fuel, I suggest doing it in the winter in Wisconsin, not West Texas in the summer.

Also the "Trash" in your fuel settles to the bottom of the tank. Yes, there's filter or 2, so not horrible to run your tank down. But I wouldn't apply the scientific method to find out your range if you know what I mean. Do it to your friends Jeep.
The density of the fuel changes with temperature. The pumps measure a specific volume, regardless of the temperature. I've watched the state guys verify the pump for the annual inspections. The pumps are accurate.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

When a mfg. say it has a 22 gal gas tank their talking about the inside volume of the tank but when you fill your always 3-4 gals short. Your tanks needs that space for expansion. I seen people topping off numbers of time until it can't take anymore, but when the evsp purges the vapor it sucks raw fuel instead and damages the evsp canister.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a 2 dr and has 18 gallon tank. When my light turns on I might have 60 miles to go before empty. The low fuel indicator usually goes on @ 30 miles. When I do fill up it iusually tops out at around 15 to 16 gallons. I can see point in thinking there is a 2-3 gallon reserve.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fuel tank size

Interesting thread.

I'm a commuter and do a LOT of driving and I keep a log book. I also have an additional travel computer in my Jeep that gives me "current" MPG, fuel used etc.. On numerous occasions I have put more than 20 gallons of fuel in the 22.5/gal tank of my 2011 JKU. So far, I have never ran out of gas in my Jeep (that noise you hear is me knocking on wood). I just now checked my log book and the most fuel I have ever put in is 21.380/gallons just last month and I can tell you I was really nervous getting to the gas station for that fillup!

The fuel light coming on is NOT a reliable indicator as to how much fuel is left in the tank, and, depending on conditions, your fuel gauge can, and sometimes does, read around 1/8 of a tank LOW. (I can tell you how to experience this for yourself as well as seeing your fuel light come on when actually having MORE than 1/4 of a tank.)

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi

I just usually just put gas when it says 1/4 left

Quick Reply: Gas tank missing gallons?