Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas tank overfill (video and pics)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after watching the video, I would have to say it really sucks for you. The first couple of time filling the JK I tried squeezing a little extra in and it would overflow, so yeah it was my fault. I also dont put the nozzle all the way in and never had a problem with the auto shutoff. I also prob look like an idiot cause I stay crouched next to the nozzle to listen for the change in sounds since i hate cleaning the gas off the paint. Also I am familiar with the amount of gas the tank should take depending on how full it is when I go to fill up. All I can say is just take your time when filling up, people are always rushing. We need to sit back and relax, enjoy life.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Mine does it too. I am concerned about the paint so everytime I fill up, the gas spews out I then go inside and have to get a bottle of water and rinse the side off. The only thing the dealer told me was don't fill it up all the way.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem. If I stop when the pump cuts off, it's fine. If I try to squeeze in even a little extra, it come flying back out. It has done since it was new.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for all of you concerned about your paint. Gasoline will not hurt modern vehicle paints. It's not strong enough. Now laquer thinner on the other hand......
Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Had our JK for over a year now and this has never happened to me when filling it up. BUT, I have the Woods EVAP relocation kit installed after a week of owning it and my EVAP is now higher than my gas tank.

So the question is do any of you that are having issues have the Woods EVAP relocation kit installed?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Hmm, I have never had this problem on my 08.

In Kentucky we don't have any rubber fancy stuff around the nozel. It's just the good old fashioned standard metal tube that you stick into the tank and it always clicks off.

Sometimes it jumps prematurely though.. I can say that.

Like it thinks its full way before it is.

But that's rare.

Never had an overfill......................... yet.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

I have had this problem off and on. With mine it doesn't seem to make a difference if the pump has the rubber shield or not.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJcECrGevI I'd be careful if I were you.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, i have only filled up since then once and it didnt happen. I'll keep filming though, and using the auto-fill setting to catch it when it overfills that way.

I'm not sure if some of you are watching the video with sound or not with some of the comments i am seeing. You can clearly hear the pump cut off then a second later the fuel comes pouring out.

It's not like the thing is still pumping when the fuel flys out then cuts off...

Also still waiting on my dealer to get those parts in...
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Happens to me every time.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overfill (video and pics)