JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Gas Tank Skid Removal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/gas-tank-skid-removal-61333/)

07JKX 11-10-2008 05:54 PM

Gas Tank Skid Removal

UPDATED WITH PHOTOS AND ADDITIONAL INTEL --> SEE FURTHER POST

as the title states... the main question is since the skid plate holds up the tank... do i need to detach any hoses before lowering the skid and tank down?

i beat mine up pretty good at tellico and want to de-dent it with a large hammer... then i want to paint it red...

Robar 11-10-2008 05:59 PM

Only tip I can give is wait until your almost out of gas. 20 gallons of gas weighs quite a bit.

07JKX 11-10-2008 06:17 PM

i have about an 8th of a tank right now... so i figured now is the best time... i really would prefer not detaching hoses... but i will if i absolutely have to.

i could see myself forgetting to reattaced something, going to fill up and then thinking there was somethin wrong after pumping 80 gallons... onto the ground

Seryoga 11-10-2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SONIC (Post 784112)
I took mine off and didnt break any of the lines (this was before i knew it held up the tank LOL

:rotflmao2::rotflmao2: I guess i'm not the only one who did it. lol

Originally Posted by Robar (Post 784117)
Only tip I can give is wait until your almost out of gas. 20 gallons of gas weighs quite a bit.

Thats a great tip btw, i got lucky mine was almost empty when it came down on me with a skid plate. :rotflmao1:

tgrt 11-10-2008 06:32 PM

Did you lose any capacity or is it just banged up? Mine is a little banged up, but I'm not going to worry about it. At some point I'm just going to cover it up with a stronger skid plate.

07JKX 11-11-2008 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by tgrt (Post 784192)
Did you lose any capacity or is it just banged up? Mine is a little banged up, but I'm not going to worry about it. At some point I'm just going to cover it up with a stronger skid plate.

i am thinking that I lost a bit... maybe half gallon or so... but the main reason is that it is packed full of mud... and i want to paint all my armor red so the next time i use it, i can see exactly where i hit.

ricrac12525 11-11-2008 02:44 PM

Skid Removal

I took mine off to reinforce it, used some 3/8 rope between tank and skid to hold tank up, tied it to the frame rail and frame cross member. use a wire coat hanger as a snake to pull the rope through after you back out the six skid bolts about halfway, worked great for me.:thumbsup:

hawgrider1200 11-12-2008 12:55 AM

real bright idea

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey (Post 784180)
post up how it goes. i need to do the same thing, mines smashed so bad the tank is pushed into the floor and it squeeks really bad and is driving me crazy. i think while mines off im going to weld some thicker metal on it

now that's a bright idea, just make sure ur insurance is all paid up and u tell ur little wife and kids goodbye.

07JKX 11-12-2008 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by ricrac12525 (Post 785547)
I took mine off to reinforce it, used some 3/8 rope between tank and skid to hold tank up, tied it to the frame rail and frame cross member. use a wire coat hanger as a snake to pull the rope through after you back out the six skid bolts about halfway, worked great for me.:thumbsup:

great idea!! i hope mine is not too full with mud to do this. I will try tonight!

greenmachine07 11-12-2008 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200 (Post 786288)
now that's a bright idea, just make sure ur insurance is all paid up and u tell ur little wife and kids goodbye.

not sure i understand this comment:thinking: