JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Gas Tank Skid Removal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/gas-tank-skid-removal-61333/)

09rubicon 11-18-2008 01:31 PM

Can I borrow your dog? I am to lazy to clean my garage floor??:zzz::zzz::zzz:

JackMac4 11-18-2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 07JKX (Post 796674)
running a 2.5" bb and 1" BL there was additional slack in the lines... the hard plastic tank and the hose that connects to it from the gas intake will sit on the rear drive shaft/diff. All the other lines on it will have mucho mucho slack.

for the dent banging... no heating... sledge and heavy swings

and boy was there mud... i just planted a garden in my driveway yesterday...

actually, I had to let is dry out... and shovel most of it out... good 5 or so square feet with 1-2" thickness...

i think i get 36 MPG now too!

Good deal - thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give this a try when I start digging into my JK. I have a laundry list of projects that is getting quite large.

Choppus 11-20-2008 10:09 AM

The one inch body lift doesn't raise the tank any. Just the 2.5" suspension lift does.

07JKX 11-20-2008 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Choppus (Post 799856)
The one inch body lift doesn't raise the tank any. Just the 2.5" suspension lift does.

some of the lines are attached to the body... the fuel intake hose is as well. and if the tank was attached to the body (i wish it was) then there wouldn't be the crush factor:rotflmao2:

grifterjim 09-01-2014 06:16 PM

Just swapped the gas tank skid plate to aftermarket on on my 2009 jk 2dr. It was really easy with a friend and only 1/8 of a tank left. I didn't need to remove any lines but I didn't go all the way down to ground with it, although it looks like it should without a prob.

Once you start lowering the assembly with a jack, you can easily hold up the gas tank while your buddy removes old skid. It's your call if you hold it up (only if it's near empty) or use some rope to tie it up while the new skid is brought in.

Earth Siege 09-01-2014 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by grifterjim (Post 3975650)
Just swapped the gas tank skid plate to aftermarket on on my 2009 jk 2dr. It was really easy with a friend and only 1/8 of a tank left. I didn't need to remove any lines but I didn't go all the way down to ground with it, although it looks like it should without a prob. Once you start lowering the assembly with a jack, you can easily hold up the gas tank while your buddy removes old skid. It's your call if you hold it up (only if it's near empty) or use some rope to tie it up while the new skid is brought in.

What brand skid did u replace it with. I have mine out and on a table and it is in bad shape. Was gonna be shelling out 500-650.00 for a new oem one. The only aftermarket skids i have seen still use the stock unit in addition to the add on.