Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

get an alignment and...

Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default get an alignment and...

...have your tires re-balanced. I know this sounds not worth a post, but I recently had my 11' JKUR (mostly stock) aligned and the tires re-balanced; what a difference; so much more stable and smooth. I have 27k miles on my 11' and I honestly don't think my JK was properly aligned or tires balanced from the factory, it feels better than when it was new. I previously did the bolt replacement and steering shaft replacement and tightened up everything up front, and the alignment and balancing still made a major difference.
I don't blame anyone for saying "Well Navin R you really are a d___ a__ if it took you 27k miles to figure that out!" Well, whatever, maybe someone can benefit from my mistake, I never imagined the factory might not have things set correctly in the beginning, but I think that's the case with my 11'.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I can understand the bolts but why would you replace a steering shaft? Your tires may have been off from the factory. No biggie. Get a measuring tape, a level, and a angle finder and do to making sure everything is aligned.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where I live, if you get an alignment, by the time you drive home your alignment is out again. NYC roads suck big time.
I don't usually do it unless I start to show signs of uneven wear or vibration.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

I have firestone lifetime alignment and rotate and balance. I get it done every 3k miles
Old 12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the Firestone lifetime alignment. I go in 2 times a year get an alignment and request a printout. To me it's worth the 140.00+ I paid. After 3 or 4 alignments and you are basically getting free ones. Every 6k I also have them rotate and balance the tires. (At my expense) i find my JK holds an alignment pretty well, not as long as my Cherokee but not bad. I always go in after pot hole season in New England.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just to explain; the steering shaft was found to be shot by the dealership and they replaced it some time ago. I just didn't want someone to think the poor driving characteristics I was experiencing were due to a bad steering shaft.

Quick Reply: get an alignment and...