Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Grease Outside U-Joint Caps?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grease Outside U-Joint Caps?

Hi there,

Going to be putting in a set of spicer 5-760X u-joints into my Dana 30 front axles (keeps breaking the stock u-joints).

There are mixed views on whether you should grease the outside of the caps and inside of the yokes before pressing the new ones on. Does anyone have any recommendations? We get a lot of salt damage around here, so thinking the grease may help the joint last a little longer?

Open to any tips you folks have.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all the years I've been a truck mechanic, I've always used anti-seize on the inside of the yokes. Clean up the yokes with emery cloth and inspect for cracks and damage first. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2015, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lts rck
In all the years I've been a truck mechanic, I've always used anti-seize on the inside of the yokes. Clean up the yokes with emery cloth and inspect for cracks and damage first. Good luck!
Thank you. I will give the anti-seize a try and will take a careful look at the yokes.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ottawavalleylad
Hi there,

Going to be putting in a set of spicer 5-760X u-joints into my Dana 30 front axles (keeps breaking the stock u-joints).

There are mixed views on whether you should grease the outside of the caps and inside of the yokes before pressing the new ones on. Does anyone have any recommendations? We get a lot of salt damage around here, so thinking the grease may help the joint last a little longer?

Open to any tips you folks have.
No harm in greasing or anti-seizing the mating surfaces at assembly, but I don't see that making the joint last any longer, as the corrosion damage is inside the caps, around the needle bearings. (We get lots of salt here, too. The liquid stuff they sometimes pre-salt with is especially bad.)
Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't affect the longevity of the u-joints, just makes them easier to replace the next time

Quick Reply: Grease Outside U-Joint Caps?