Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gottta be front pinion bearing or seal ...mine does not do it anymore ...my guess it needed some lubrication on the seal...if you notice how the pinion is higher that normal....spray some wd on it and see if it goes away cant hyrt...like I say mine went away
Old 07-17-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update...

Ok, so I took my Jk to the dealer yesterday. The tech rode around with me and I got "yup, you got a noise." Now the fun begins...

He put it on the rack and into 4wd so they can get the front wheels spinning... and guess what... no noise. The serice tech put in a call to DC technical support to ask what to do next... and I got the vehicle back while they await a response from DC. I also shared the responses I got from the board, and while they seemed interested, didn't really react much, and are awaiting more from DC to move on.

So, at least on my JK, having weight on the suspension seems to affect how the noise comes and goes.

For anyone more mechanically inclined that me... would the wheel bearing or outer pinion be more noticable / likely to be the problem because they bear the weight of the front end.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Jeep2Times, that is the same thing that happened to me. The tech put it up on the rack and into 4wd and no noise. The only difference is that they didn't call DC. My local dealership techs seem like a bunch of lazy a$$'s.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, muttschu... your JK looks a lot like mine... maybe that's the problem.. red rock paint!

Another update. Got a call from the $tealer this afternoon and they said DC tech support wasn't any help. (Imagine that...) Anyway, I got an appointment to take my JK in on Monday and they will keep it for a few days and give me a loaner.

I'm gonna print out all the tips from everyone on the boards and bring it along. Heck, can't hurt as they don't have a clue as to where to begin.

I'll keep everyone up to date on what the $tealer decides to do...

Also, it seems like there are two threads on the same topic... maybe they can be combined by one of the mods?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/front-pinion-gear-noise-7490/

Last edited by Jeep2Times; 07-19-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:13 AM
JK Newbie

sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys on this........i have had a very long week!!!!!! i picked my jeep last friday and only heard the noise once it was just after coming off road ......i took it to the carwash and haven't heard a peep since!!!!! its kinda funny i had to call my service advisor to pay for the oil change i had done while it was in there and the first question he asked was if the noise was gone.......finally i was able to tell him yes!!!!!! as i understand it he had the hub bearings replaced, that is what he told me he was gonna have done.....unfortunatly i don't have the work order as i picked it up when the service dept was closed.....anyways i hope this helps
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update... Noise Gone

Hi Everyone,

I brought my JK into the dealer last week to diagnose the noise in the front end. After keeping my Jeep for two days, the service advisor called me back and said they're going to replace the front pinion seal.

Picked up the JK on Wednesday and asked some questions. Tech said to diagnose, he took my Jeep for a ride (over 10 miles) and the noise came back. He couldn't duplicate it on the rack (put it in 4wd and had it running slowing on the lift). So, he looked around the front end and saw that that pinion seal on the front differential was dry, so he thought that might be the problem. It was kind of a shot in the dark (that's the impression I got), as he really didn't know what it was. The service advisor then drove the same loop and the noise was gone. I've also driven the Jeep for a few days now, and I can also say the noise is gone. I've even driven the same loop where I first heard the noise, and it's gone.

I did print out all the suggested fixes from other members on the board. When I first mentioned the board and some suggested fixes, the service advisor / tech didn't seem interested. But I did leave the printout on the front passenger seat where they couldn't help but see it, and that might have helped them find an answer.

Here's what the receipt says:

"C/S Squeak from L/F Wheel. Found that the front diff pinion seal is dry and making noise. Removed and replaced. Test Drove. Noise is gone.

Parts:
1ea Seal Driv 2010066 / FP Number: 68004072-AA
1ea Nut Pinio 2003014 / FP Number 4720895"

Sorry, I haven't had time to post a reply until now.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions / suggested fixes. Hopefully the noise is gone for good.

BTW: That $700 for a lifetime powertrain warranty is starting to look like a pretty good idea...

Andy
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Hi Guys,

First post here...

Anyway, I had the same issue with the front pinion seal on my 2007 Sahara Unlimited. I, unlike some, had a great service advisor here in Toronto who worked with me to diagnose the problem. I had the same sound, grinding noise after things heat up. They tried a number of things before getting it right.

- replaced front driver side wheel bearing assembly (didn't work)
- lubricated front pinion seal (worked for a week)
- replaced front pinion seal (worked for a week)

Eventually they found that when the diff heats up, the front pinion seal (stationary) expands and contacts the back of the new flange style pinion yoke (turning) and makes that noise. They pressed the seal in further and "modified" the flange so that there would be more clearence. I'm not sure what they "modified" but the noise has not returned since.

Hopefully, this will save some of you guys a couple trips to the dealer to try and figure it out.

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is exactly what was fixed/replaced on mine in one of the earlier threads on this subject. Mine has been fine ever since.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to give everybody an update on my squeaking/dragging noise. I had my JK at the dealership 4 days ago and they replace the pinion seal. So far, no more noise.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

I had this same issue on my 2007 Liberty. Was in the shop 3 times with no avail. I just kept coming back. At first I would need to drive for at least 30 minutes, by the time I had enough of it, the problem would occur before I got out my community.

One of the times it was in they told me the width in the router was like 4 mm off from one side to the other. SO they evened them up and it worked good for a month. Then it came back. I finally told the dealer that If they couldn't fix it they were going to have to give me another jeep. haha it seemed to work because they replace the entire brake system, realigned the tires and all was golden. Has not returned and it has been about four months.

Im picking up my new Wrangler Jk on Tuesday and im praying that this does not happen this time around.

Quick Reply: Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?