Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Had rattling from passenger seat area, think I've narrowed it down

Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had rattling from passenger seat area, think I've narrowed it down

So I noticed a metallic rattling coming from the passenger seat area that only happened if it was unoccupied. I tried taking it to the dealership but it never rattled when I had it there and it was very intermittent. If it happened while I was driving I could generally stop it by reaching over and sliding the seat forward or back. Unfortunately, whenever my wife would get in, she'd move the seat back to this one spot that worked perfectly for her and our son behind her. That was the sweet spot that started the intermittent rattling when she wasn't riding with me. I had been checking on everything underneath the seat, checking bolts, the handle that moves the seat forward and back, etc. I think I have it nailed down to the bracket that is bolted to the seat that holds the end of the lap belt in place. There is a small metal bracket that has some play in it to allow for the lap belt to have some degree of adjustability from its mount point. I think that bracket is rattling against metal when I'm going down a bumpy road. I'm going to remove it this weekend and put a piece of sound dampening material between it and the metal base of the passenger seat. I think that will fix it. I can post pics if anyone wants to see it. I don't mind bumps and rattles in a Jeep when I'm driving, but that constant metallic rattle was driving me nuts!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electrical tape the door Striker
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hammerstien
Electrical tape the door Striker
Hmm I did see that fix when I was researching it, but I will try that when I get home tonight and see if its that. I was pretty sure it was coming from the seat though, since it never happened whenever someone was sitting in the seat and I could make it go away by adjusting the seat's position...
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Yea I had the same thing and swore it wasn't that until I taped it. I pulled my seatbelt apart and everything. It turned out to be the door
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

Right on, I'll give it a shot this am...thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

I bet its the door too! Pulled half my car apart looking for that damn noise! Turned out to be the door striker! Tape it up!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Ha. Taped the striker yesterday. No noise yet.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

ha. Keep us in the know
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Nah, its still there. Its not the seatbelt where it mounts to the seat either. I played with tension on the belt while it was going on. I reached down again while I was driving and slid the passenger seat all the way back and it immediately went away. Maybe there's something going on in the rails or with the lever that slides the seat back/forth.

Quick Reply: Had rattling from passenger seat area, think I've narrowed it down