Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hand break and rear rotor

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand break and rear rotor

long story short my pull lever at the wheel is no longer parallel with the axel, it now pointing down to the ground, therefore I need to go take a look inside the hand break assembly but I'm unable to get the disk break rotor out.
I did not see any hole for using screw like drum break, other than the hammer way do you guys got any other idea / trick ?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First make sure the parking break is not engaged. You can try to back off the parking break adjustment. As long as the parking break pads are not seized to the rotor you should be able to pull it right of with very little effort. Also spray some WD-40 on the wheel studs to loosen it up. Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep beating it with a bfh not a small hammer but something heavy. Spray wd40 in behind the rotor and around the studs. Also with a screwdriver if you can get on the edge of the e brake pad and pry it out. Mostly beat the F out of it and pull on it at the same time. Be patient. Had the same problem last Saturday. Good luck
Old 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the BFH doesn't work (which it should) there is a rubber tab you can pop out on the back of the housing next to the caliper that has an adjustment gear inside. Turn that counter clockwise (driver's side) or clockwise (passenger side) with a screwdriver to reduce the spread of the e-brake shoe.

I borrowed the diagram from project-jk...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	parkingbrake-adjust.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	473370  

Last edited by Rubicon John; 06-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

I guess I did no beat on it enough, still jammed.

tried to reduce the tension on the hand break by using the adjusting screw, never found it inside the hole, when I peeked inside I did not see anything only a metal wall, I inserted a screw driver but did not found anything feeling like the adjustment wheel, any direction is appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Hand break and rear rotor