Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard start?

Old 01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start?

Anyone have this happening? I'm in and out of my JK Unlimited all day long. I start it about 12 times each day. I occasionally get what I call a "hard start". When I go to start it, instead of cranking up right away, it takes 3 to 5 seconds of cranking to start. 3 to 5 seconds feels like an eternity when your trying to start your brand new, not so inexpensive, Jeep Jk Unlimited! This happens every day, but, it's totally random. Sometimes it only happens once and sometimes it happens 5 times in one day. It sounds so bad even my 11 year old is asking "What's wrong with your Jeep Dad?" I took it in to the dealer to get it checked out, and of course, it wont duplicate the problem while it's there. Everything checks out perfect when they hook it up. The dealer said they will take note of the problem and let me know if a flash or something for the computer comes up. This really sucks! I'm bragging to everyone how awesome my JK is and then I go to start it and it sounds like I'm starting some old piece of crap. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen and what they were able to do about it.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Mine randomly acts like this as well. That doesnt help you any but it might be normal.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hope it's not normal.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine too, it has only happened about 4-5 times in the 6 weeks that I have had it though. It is strange, but I assumed it was somewhat normal and figured there was nothing for the dealership to do.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

This happened to me a few times as well. Seemed to happen when a little colder and not plugged in. Thought that was it......maybe not:confused:
Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Happens to me maybe once a week.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both my TJs did this all the time, nearly daily.

Never had a problem, so I think it's benign.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does it totally random hot, cold, sat 15 minute, sat overnight. I am worried that one of these times it just wont start at all and leave me stranded. This is my first wrangler though. My wife had an 04 grand cherokee and it never happened with that. Maybe it is just a wrangler thing, but it makes me feel uneasy.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can add mine to this list too. I have experienced this several times, and there seems to be no "constant" for what may cause it. I drive mine alot, and there are several times in a week time period that I will have a "hard start".
Old 01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Mine does it quite a bit too. Sometimes it will go days without doing it and others it will do it four times in a day. I also took it to the dealer and they can't duplicate it so that means there is nothing wrong with it. I guess as long as it starts I will keep driving it. Kind of bugs me that it does it, but......

Bryan

Quick Reply: Hard start?