Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard Top Driver's side leak

Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hard Top Driver's side leak

The last time I had my JK out in the rain, the driver's side hard top panel filled with water and leaked. It leaked around the sound bar screws and also out of the roll bar where the pin comes through from the hard top. When I took it apart it seems as though the rain gets in the channel and then fills the panel with water through the drain hole that is near the sound bar screw. Took the panel out and drained the panel. Not sure if I should put some silicone in the drain plug to keep the panel from filling up again...
Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2012 2 door sport sprung a leak and did the same thing....the last time I took the 2 front freedom panels off , when I reinstalled them I ruined the corner seals....when you put them back on you have to set them straight down on top of the jeep , do not slide them into place as you Definately will crush the seals and trust me they will start leaking...
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

I just rechecked my panels...took them off and put the back on again. all the seals are in good shape. Just can't figure out why it likes to leak sometimes. We don't have any rain coming for a while, so I guess I don't have to worry about it right now.
Just would like to hear if anyone else had the same leak and what the fix was...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

mine leaks in the same place and fills with water sometimes. It doesn't rain enough durring the day for me to know if I fixed the problem but I tried putting some dow 111 on the freedom panel around where the screw in goes not on the threads but around where it makes contact as well as that little hole on the back side.

I haven't been caught in the rain yet to test if that fixed it. I have been doing some research on people getting water inside their freedom panels and some people say if it happens a few times they took it to the dealer and got them replaced.

Quick Reply: Hard Top Driver's side leak