Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard Top wind noise

Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard Top wind noise

Well....it is finally driving me nuts.....I have tried adjusting, tighting but I still get a brutal wind noise on the freedom top.... right where the windshield, and the two front panels meet. I tried several ideas and resorted to pushed up paper towel to reduce the noise.

When I replace the panels back the steps I take are:
1) I place passenger side first
2) Place Driver's side down.
3) Adjust both panels to ensure rubber is not folded and positioned correct on the windshield rubber.
4) Screw in the rear into the roll bar not overly tight.
5) Clamp down the front
6) turn in the handles first the middle and then the sides and rear.

Is this the correct way or am I doing something wrong to not create a perfect
seal at the windshield and creating the wind noise???

However, driving on the highway above any speeds over +80km/hr I get that awful wind noise in which I can't hear my kids or wife talking it's like you are in a wind tunnel! It's coming from the windshield & where the panels meet. It seems like the rubber seal on the passenger side does not sit tight enough against the rubber on the windshield.

IS there any TSB's out for this???? Am I installing the front panels incorrectly?

We never had this noise issue on the highway when we took it off the lot until the 3rd time I took the roof panels off. I am not sure if I am over tightening the rear screws in the roll bar? But it seems the front panels could be pushed down more to create a tighter seal on the windshield rubber. The thing is I don't have any water leaks and have driven through touchless car washes with no issues.

I would love for the wind noise to be reduced so I can talk & hear my kids and wife on longer highway trips. Any helpful suggestions would be great!!

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a few hot summer days last year, the black sticky stuff under the windows seals became almost liquid and allowed it to shift. Local dealer fixed for free. Have you tried looking at the strip from above with the panels off?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some experimenting with painter's blue masking tape. I added some soft rubber to the area under the windshield light mounts but it still needs work. I gave been looking for a T shaped rubber stiip material. Long and thin and pliable downleg of the T to slip into the seam when you put the tops back on. The top section of the T to be slightly rounded to sit on the roof section and top of the removeable section in order to fill the gap. No luck yet on that.

Also I am thinking of just filling the gaps where the windshield folds down since I have no interest in lowering it. A nice bead of black silicone might do the trick.

The wind noise is annoying on 13 hour trips.

Last edited by Patchules; 05-09-2008 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard Top wind noise