Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop VS. Sunrider in summer!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop VS. Sunrider in summer!

Ok guys how hard is it to take off the Sunrider soft top or lower it to drive without any top? I have a Hardtop and want to drive without any top now and then, well pretty much A LOT when the days are nice (almost every opportunity). So my question is it easy to remove the soft top? Or should I just keep removing the hardtop? Which I think should be more work, just checking because I know a lot just have hardtop and some people sell their soft top (if they have both)??? So I wanted to know if a lot of people are just taking their hardtop off each time, or are they the people that just don’t remove the whole top…
SO, YAY or NAY on the soft top??
Thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hard top came off first day of spring weather,,,run the soft top sunrider off down completely, if it hits over 90 I'll run safari style. Safari style= no doors soft top on with windows zipped out, great to block the sun but still be breezy and jeepish.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run top-off but I do keep the softop attached and windows rolled up in the cloverpatch for those just in case rain trips. I rarely use the sunrider....it's either top off or top on in the summer months. Softop is very easy to put up and down takes like 5 minutes to put down unzip the windows and fold. Puttting back up takes an extra few minutes longer to zip up the windows and twist into the channels....but once you have done it a few times and the top stretches out a little you get a good routine down and it takes no time at all.

For those hot sunny days I use a mesh Bikini Top to help protect from the UV rays!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The last few weeks I have either removed or used the sunrider feature at least 30 times.. Takes maybe 10 mins. to remove/lower the top all the way back or about 5 mins to sunrider postion. I love the softtop. If I had a hardtop I would sell it now..... Now ask me about the hardtop come December...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get the soft top completely down in about 2 minutes and back up in less than 5. Don't own a hard top and never once wished I did.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

haven't gone fully topless yet as weather has been psycho here. Finally got this biotch stretch, and get get into sunrider quite easily now. Much easier than removing the hardtop panels, and storing them somehwere.

In terms of the Clover Patch. All I have done is buy a fleece blanket and have wrapped my back window in it, with the tailgate bar and stowed on the floor in the back. I can do the same with the sides once I take the top off completely. I am going to look for some type of architect funnel to store the windows when not in use, and buy some velcro straps to secure them to the fleece microfibre blankets I wrap them in. Lots cheaper than buying the Patch or Mopar Bag...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I take the HT off in March and leave it off until November. I drive my truck to work on rainy days...

I have had soft tops on my past Jeeps and hated them...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
I can get the soft top completely down in about 2 minutes and back up in less than 5. Don't own a hard top and never once wished I did.
Say's the man from So Cal.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

As soon as the weather started getting decent, I swapped out the hard top for the soft and haven't looked back.

I've only had it down a couple times so far, but it doesn't take long to fold down/up and is way less of a hassle to deal with than taking the hard top off every time you want to go topless. I suppose this would be easier for those with a lift for the hard top.

As long as the weather is decent (ie. not winter) I see absolutely no reason not to rock the soft top
Old 05-09-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its personal choice, of course, but you have to consider where you live. My first thought was if you are out for the day with your hard top off and the weather turns bad, what do you do? With a soft top you can just pull it up.

The hard top is more secure than the softy. And quieter, and a bit more comfortable in the winter. But he soft top has advantages, too.

I am happy with both!

Quick Reply: Hardtop VS. Sunrider in summer!