Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Heads Up: Intermittent Power Loss...ABS Speed Sensor

Old 10-25-2020, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Heads Up: Intermittent Power Loss...ABS Speed Sensor

I'm posting this for the database: Just a heads up for those that experience intermittent power loss from a stop. I found that a slowly failing ABS wheel speed sensor will cause a power loss condition without tripping any warning lights. This sucks because you're pulling away from the stop light and your Jeep suddenly feels like it goes to idle and you're almost getting rear ended. This happened once before about 2 weeks ago and then nothing until today.

I happen to finally get lucky and have my sensor finally fail long enough with the ABS, ESP-BAS, and Traction lights coming on to pull a code for the left rear. It kept failing off & on as I limped my way to the auto parts store for a new sensor.....the intermittent bogging feeling all the way there. I finally figured out that disconnecting the wheel sensor connector will stop the bogging condition since the ABS, ESP, etc are now out of the control loop....Drove it home with no more issues and changed the sensor in 15 minutes on my driveway. All good after a brisk test drive. I plan to replace the right rear since they are relatively cheap at $25 a piece for non-OEM.

Quick Reply: Heads Up: Intermittent Power Loss...ABS Speed Sensor