Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP 2014 JK Timing Issues

Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 AM
TDP
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 2014 JK Timing Issues

Hello,

I am new to the forum and need some help. I have a 2014 JKU with 45,000 Miles.

Symptoms: Engine is running terrible, starts fine, but there is a loud engine grinding noise about 5 seconds after starting up. The engine will hesitate and slight vibration when sitting in the driver seat.

Error Codes: I am having error codes - P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019 (camshaft/crankshaft sync error) P0300 (misfire) and P000B (slow camshaft response) and P0250 (Knock Sensor).

Solutions Tried: I have replaced all camshaft sensors, crankshaft sensor, replaced one knock sensor (didnt realize there were two until I put the engine back together), replaced all four VVT Solenoid sensors, PCM valve, spark plugs and coils, changed oil with Mobile 1 synthetic and filter, checked the rocker arms on the cams and all look good but there is a small pinging sound that sound much like the failed rocker videos on youtube, but all these attempts have had no luck in fixing the issue. The Camshafts both look excellent as there are no signs of wear, I did break a bolt on the camshaft but replaced with a metal bolt of similar size (don't know if this will be an issue) as the camshafts rely on magnets for alignment. I did notice when I replaced all the items and started the jeep it had the rotten egg smell, which from reading online could by a CAT or 02 issue, but the jeep is not throwing any codes.

I did notice that when I pulled the valve covers on both sides the timing arrows did not align. Unsure of what to do I took it into the Stealership to diagnose. The dealership called me back yesterday and said that it is the timing as it is over 20 degrees retarded and that it will be $1100 dollars in labor and then parts on top of that. They are unsure of what parts they will need until they get the timing cover pulled. I dont want to go this route as our Stealership is terrible with service.

I feel capable enough to do the work to take the timing cover off, but dont know if I can diagnose what the root cause is that is causing the timing to be off and throwing all the error codes.

1) Could replacing the other knock sensor fix the error code and will the timing self adjust and correct itself, or do you manually have to re-align the timing? I dont know if the things I have done take effect immediately or since the timing is off they won't self correct?
2) Do you think it could be a phaser/oil control valce issue and if so should the Stealership been able to diagnose that during the diagnostics with their tool?
3) Has anyone had similar issues with all the P0016-P0019 codes come on and what was your solution.
4) Are there codes that the Stealership needs to upload to my Jeep to update the Power Control Module?
PLease, any help would be appreciated as I have searched the forum for hours with no luck.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a P0018 I can't seem to shake. I'm leaning towards cam phaser/solenoid combo issue but dealership still has open case on it since it's so intermittent. On one day off for 3 weeks- then it goes to P/D and turns off on its own, inevitably when I'm headed in to the dealership for a scan and then they can't find anything
Good luck -Subd to see what you net out with
Old 06-26-2020, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fighting the P000B right now - did you find a solution for your '14 JKU? I'm not a capable mechanic - tried to save money but failed, dropped quite a bit at a local garage, replaced cam sensor (twice,) rear cam sensor harness, oil filter housing, oil sending unit, temperature sensor, intake & exhaust cam actuators ... before the P000B had another code, replaced bank-one downstream O2 sensor (twice,) and I believe bank-two sensor (once - little confusing, I know.) The lights started coming on literally at 69,999 miles - prior to that I had one hiccup, the dealer replace lifters at 47K under warranty - unsure if that could be related to this cam shaft sensor slow code? Dealer (stealership) is quoting me $2145.68+tax to replace essentially everything pertaining to the cam shafts (1365.98 parts, 779.70 labor) ... would like to save some money and go back to the garage but my confidence there is shaken - though many swear the dealership technicians are an equal gamble. Not sure what my next move is.

Quick Reply: HELP 2014 JK Timing Issues