Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP!!! check engine light EGR P0406

Old 10-10-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0405 EGR and dead Jeep.

Ok, So a couple months ago I am picking up pizza in the pouring rain and the check engine light come on. I just go back home figuring I will check it in the morning. The next day I check everything out and put a code scanner on but got no code. I did not know the scanner needed to be CAN and I did not know the key trick. SO I cant find the code at this point. I drive the Jeep to a couple place and everything seems fine.
The next morning I go to start it and its dead. Battery is dead. So, I put it on a charger and a few hours later I start the Jeep and test the alternator for output. It is working fine. I unhook the battery for a couple minutes and then hook it back up. The code is gone and everything seems fine. Strange.
Now the light came on again yesterday. I do the key trick and get code P0405 EGR Valve. I am reading a lot of posts from folks that have this code but no one else talks about the battery going dead. What's up with that?
Also, cant find any good description on doing the repair.
Any one got any scoop on that?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default P0405 and others

Ok so a couple weeks after the battery went dead and I got this code it happened again. I charged the battery again and all was good. Then a week later the engine light came on again with another code. I cleared it and then the next day it happened again with yet another code and the battery was low.
After talking with many JK owners about this I was getting nowhere fast! I hate just throwing parts at things but I had no choice. I went and got a new battery even though the one I had tested good. Now it has been a few months and I have not had the light come on or any issues. So the moral to the story is that the JK will throw out false codes if there is an issue with the battery not holding a charge.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Code P0406 Question

Originally Posted by dsp
As you have probably read on some of the other posts, it could be something else. I would check the wires first. I have had the wiring harnesses fall down a few different times.
What do you mean by the wiring may have fallen? Because I have the code P0406 pop up sometimes on my Jeep maybe every 2-3 weeks and it’ll just leave again. Could this be some fallen wiring??
Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Engine Relearn

Originally Posted by hammerhead
I haven't noticed any changes in gas mileage and I'm out of warranty. I have noticed that when I take off the Jeep goes at first and then hesitates for a second then picks back up again. I think its getting stuck opened because the check engine light come on after I have been driving a while and stop at a light.
After you clear the computer and/or remove the battery terminal to clear the codes the ECM goes through a relearn procedure because the adaptive memory is reset. Which would show those symptoms, I personally drive a 6 speed and reset the computer from time to time and the first few short trips it throttles itself down after I enguage each gear.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
no offense...but if it's sending you a fault code, why wouldn't you resolve the root issue instead of just trying to clear the code and carry on. Just replace the EGR as stated, shouldn't take you but more than 20 min. Not sure on cost though....
see I replaced my egr valve and the pipe and mine still has the 403 and 406 codes and Boggs and putters on acceleration, so annoying

Quick Reply: HELP!!! check engine light EGR P0406