Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! literally cannot get this deal badge off

Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! literally cannot get this deal badge off

This dealership(which I hate) put a badge on the jeep and it's really bothering me. I tried the hair dryer method - no luck. I tried a heat gun up to 750 degrees - no luck. A detailer who has removed thousand of decals tried - no luck. Any ideas? is it safe to take the heat gun to a higher temp?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Goo gone... Or, I used a rag with a bit of gasoline.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Normally a hair dryer or heat gun work great. Are you letting the heat on the sticker long enough? Have you tried soaking the decal with WD40 and carefully scraping it off? I wouldn't go higher with the temperature on the hearlt gun.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

I would take it back to them and make them remove it. Humility would be good for them. A Land Rover Dealer did it to me once, on my Landy. I was so pissed. Same thing, tried everything, I couldn't get it off. They used wd40. It dissolved the glue and presto. I then gave them he'll about it. I kindly reminded them they did not own the vehicle, they have no authority to alter, modify, add or delete ANY part of the vehicle, etc. I reminded them of their own policy which they held to strictly. that any and all alterations could and will result in voiding the warranty. that won the argument, they had now recourse.. I laid it on thick, kind of like when someone steals just a dollar. It is stealing, just the same.

Give em hell!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would soak a small rag in isopropyl alcohol and then tape it to the jeep letting it soak for a few hours. That will dissolve the glue. That works for me on stubborn stickers especially on cloth. Should work well on paint too.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mello03
I would soak a small rag in isopropyl alcohol and then tape it to the jeep letting it soak for a few hours. That will dissolve the glue. That works for me on stubborn stickers especially on cloth. Should work well on paint too.
Just be careful with that one. Isopropyl alcohol attacks acrylics and esters. I'm not certain the auto manufacturers are blending in acrylics or esters. Some are, just not sure who. Don't want to find out the hard way.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Squirt that bitch with lighter fluid and let it soak for a bit. Keep applying till it peels off
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

WD-40, heat gun, and then run some fishing line under the back to cut through the adhesive. after you get it off soak one rag with goo gone and another with water. Alternate the goo gone and water so you dont leave the goo gone on the paint for more than a few seconds.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

3M makes a solvent for removing double sided tape it will work on that and it's paint safe too.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Just be careful with that one. Isopropyl alcohol attacks acrylics and esters. I'm not certain the auto manufacturers are blending in acrylics or esters. Some are, just not sure who. Don't want to find out the hard way.
Any clearcoat I have ever used alcohol on has been totally fine. I have used it many times without ill effects. There is no way I would use it on paint that is not cleared though.

Quick Reply: Help! literally cannot get this deal badge off