Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help, lost my only key

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin87x
Hey guys. Well, i got it towed and it was painful to watch my jeep get dragged onto the flatbed while in park, steering wheel locked with tires turned into the curb. We could get the auto tranny to unlock. And yes, it's about 240 a key, I'm getting 2 this time. OUCH! There goes my Christmas money. I'm not a happy Jeeper right now.
Uhh...you should be inserting your fist into the tow truck driver's face if he dragged your JK onto a flatbed. Even if you can't get the auto-trans out of park, you disconnect the driveshafts so the wheels will roll. Sounds like you got a lazy bastard.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Uhh...you should be inserting your fist into the tow truck driver's face if he dragged your JK onto a flatbed. Even if you can't get the auto-trans out of park, you disconnect the driveshafts so the wheels will roll. Sounds like you got a lazy bastard.
I have seen many vehicles slid up on a flat bed that were locked in gear with steering locked and generally the drivers slide a piece of wood or plastic block under the wheels to make them slide easy. Hopefully this happened in this case.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

What's the lowest price anyone has paid for a key? I've got one key, and would like to have a spare, but I don't want to pay $200 or more for it. Also, does anyone have the link to the thread on programming a new key if you still have an original?

This is the kind of gouging where dealers and automakers get a bad name, and deserve it. Those keys probably cost them 10 bucks or less to make.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin87x
Hey guys. Well, i got it towed and it was painful to watch my jeep get dragged onto the flatbed while in park, steering wheel locked with tires turned into the curb. We could get the auto tranny to unlock. And yes, it's about 240 a key, I'm getting 2 this time. OUCH! There goes my Christmas money. I'm not a happy Jeeper right now.
Lazy or inexperienced tow truck driver....you can remove drive shafts or jack up and put dollies under the tires.

Hopefully you dont have any driveline damage due to this rookie move.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK

Lazy or inexperienced tow truck driver....you can remove drive shafts or jack up and put dollies under the tires.

Hopefully you dont have any driveline damage due to this rookie move.
I drove wreckers for years and I found the quickest safest way to winch up a vehicle in park was dish soap. Just squeeze it in front of the tires as you winch. Winching up is the easy part. Its the unloading that gets ugly! At least you didn't get a driver trying to put it on the wheel lift or sling it. LoL
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
What's the lowest price anyone has paid for a key? I've got one key, and would like to have a spare, but I don't want to pay $200 or more for it. Also, does anyone have the link to the thread on programming a new key if you still have an original?

This is the kind of gouging where dealers and automakers get a bad name, and deserve it. Those keys probably cost them 10 bucks or less to make.
One key is better than none but not by much.

You probably know, but the keys ((regardless of door-lock/alarm/remote-start electronics or not)(meaning keys with 3-4 buttons)) have a transponder in them that gets coded to the ignition. You need two coded keys; with two you can code up to 6 more yourself.

"Cheap", programmable transponder key blanks without any of the other button-electronics are available for around $15-20.
(ikeyless.com, ebay. etc.)

Blank keys with electronics (3 or 4 button) are closer to $125-150.

But with only one key you'll need a locksmith or dealer to program the transponder code.
I don't know how the electronics get matched to the rig (for the 3 or 4 button keys).
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are numerous vendors on EBay that sell New and Used key fobs w/remote... for $40-60, but be careful and read their description carefully....
If the remote is used and has not been reset to factory default; the keys chip cannot be programmed even if you have two keys.
There are some vendors that sell the remote SHELL (read description carefully) where there is no remote electronics inside; you only get the key and the housing....
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 key fobs that came with my Jeep and one left over from my totaled Jeep. Is there anyway I can program the totaled Jeeps key fob to this Jeep?

Quick Reply: Help, lost my only key