Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help please!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help please!

Hey all!

This is my first post on here but I have been following for a while.

I have a 2014 Jku with roughly 40k miles on the dash. I had it up on a lift at work because when accelerating from a stop I hear a metal on metal clunk. I have not been able to pin point it. While up on the lift I noticed my front output shaft seal leaking on my t-case. I've done a search and haven't come up with what I'm looking for.

First question- any way those would be under warranty? I have a 4in long arm kit with 35s. I don't want to take it to the dealer and have them charge me if it's not.

Second- if not any guesses on the noise? And anyone have directions/ parts needed for the t-case reseal?

Any help is appreciated!! If there is already a thread on either of these and I missed it please direct me to them.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You checked your driveshafts? Transmission fluid? Diff fluid?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Is the clunk something that you hear from stop to acceleration, and from deceleration to stop in both forward or backward motions, I would start by double checking the torque on your control arms. An undertorqued CA bolt can make a "clunk" with changes in direction/motion.

Hard to tell from the description if the noise is related to your TC issue, but only takes a few minutes to eliminate CA's from the mix.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Is the clunk coming from the front or back? If from the back, based upon accelerating, rear sway bar links have known to clunk by hitting the frame if installed incorrectly.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noise is definitely coming from the rear and only on acceleration. Although I do hear a intermittent pop now when pulling in and out of driveways. Thanks for the replies. I have checked the trans fluid, drive shaft and sway bar end links. Those all seem good. The CA bolts seem tight but one is further back than the other.. idk if this is normal or not..
Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

"seems to be good" as in you checked them with a torque wrench? You saying you hear a pop turning in to drive ways now leads me to think it sounds like sway bar links undertorqued. When that body gets even a bit of roll a loose sway bar link will pop.

I can't tell from your response if you actually used a torque wrench or not. I'd note that things will appear tight and "good" but still be under torqued. Some of this stuff even 5-10 lbs under torqued is loose enough to cause a "pop" The rear upper and lower control arms should all be at 125 ft lbs, and the sway bar links should be at 75 ft lbs.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-30-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, if you look at all possible contact points on the frame and suspension and see nowhere that it's rubbing, then I start looking at loose parts. Sway bar, track bar, and control arms. Buy a good toque wrench and get to work learning the settings they all need to be at.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chances are likely that the "clunk" is the exhaust, moving against its stops. Sit in the jeep and have someone grab the COOL tailpipe and shake it back and forth.

Quick Reply: Help please!