Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help Won't Start.....

Old 11-11-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Won't Start.....

My JK rubi will not start. I went mudding this weekend and got the thing pretty dirty. It ran fine after mudding and even fine the next day. I power washed it this evening and i power washed the engine compartment as well. I know prolly not to smart but i did it any way. Wash soap the hole nine yards. It started up fine and i move it from my shop to the house and then tried to start it 40 min later and it clicked once and then i had to crank and crank it to get it started. Drove fine for about 10 miles and then the esp and bas light along with the other esp light every time i hit a bump or turned a corner. This proceeded for a little while longer and then the lights went out and it only acted up when i went around a sharp corner on the hwy. I stopped for gas and the starting problem was the same. Click and then lots of cranking until it finally started. I was almost home and turning in the parking lot it died on a sharp turn. Droped the clutch to restart it and it idled fine until i parked it. I tried to search for someone who has had similar problems and couldn't find it on here so sorry for the lengthy post but i figure details are better. I also jacked up the jeep when washing it on both sides of the front. I jacked from the "i don't know the correct term" A arm i think.

Please someone any advice??
Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

could be the camshaft aliment sensor, that causes hard to start situations, power issues, and easy to stall problems
Old 11-11-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

is the cam shaft sensor located so that it could possibly get wet. I also thought since i lifted the jeep with a jack on both sides of the front that it could have maybe caused the esp problem.

Sometimes electronics are nice others they need to just stay away from controlling my engine like the good ole days.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07rubi07
My JK rubi will not start. I went mudding this weekend and got the thing pretty dirty. It ran fine after mudding and even fine the next day. I power washed it this evening and i power washed the engine compartment as well. I know prolly not to smart but i did it any way. Wash soap the hole nine yards. It started up fine and i move it from my shop to the house and then tried to start it 40 min later and it clicked once and then i had to crank and crank it to get it started. Drove fine for about 10 miles and then the esp and bas light along with the other esp light every time i hit a bump or turned a corner. This proceeded for a little while longer and then the lights went out and it only acted up when i went around a sharp corner on the hwy. I stopped for gas and the starting problem was the same. Click and then lots of cranking until it finally started. I was almost home and turning in the parking lot it died on a sharp turn. Droped the clutch to restart it and it idled fine until i parked it. I tried to search for someone who has had similar problems and couldn't find it on here so sorry for the lengthy post but i figure details are better. I also jacked up the jeep when washing it on both sides of the front. I jacked from the "i don't know the correct term" A arm i think.

Please someone any advice??
If I were in that situation, I'd disconnect the negative battery cable for about ten seconds to reset the computer and see if that would clear it up.

Just my .02
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

great idea. i'll try that and see if it works. Let you know in a bit.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

well thanks but it didn't work. I left the positive cable off for about 1 min and then put it back and nothing happened when i tried to start it. I know that the internal capacitors in the computer have to bleed down for it to reset so i will try leaving it off overnight. I know that 10-15 minutes should be about the longest that they should hold charge but i am going to go to bed and deal with it in the morning. I hope it either drys out and starts in the morning or the stealership is going to be paying for a wrecker.

Thanks for any more input on the problem. I will see if anyone has anymore thoughts in the morning.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07rubi07
is the cam shaft sensor located so that it could possibly get wet. I also thought since i lifted the jeep with a jack on both sides of the front that it could have maybe caused the esp problem.

Sometimes electronics are nice others they need to just stay away from controlling my engine like the good ole days.
well the sensor is right on top of the motor, really easy to get wet with ur presser washer http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_08-023-07.pdf

there is a pic of the locatoin of the sensor in the tsb

but this is just a guess
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

that sounds exactly what it might be. I did leave the battery cables disconnected overnight and this morning it started right up with no problems. I am planning on taking it to the dealer this morning to see if they can run diagnostics on it and see if everything is ok. I will also mention to check the camshaft sensor. Thanks for the help. Next time i will try the garden hose and simple green method to wash the engine.

Quick Reply: Help Won't Start.....