Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

heres a good one

Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heres a good one

i have gotten a cel a couple times p06dd (low oil pressure detected?). every time it would come on it would clear itself so i was'nt getting to concerned about it to much. well it came on again and i was going to be off for a couple weeks so i brought it in while i was off. now when i bought my jk my sales man told me that he was a service manager for years before getting in to sales and if he had any advise to me it was to use mobil1 full synthetic oil from my first oil change. so i have been using mobile1 5/30 oil and have been changing my oil every 5000 miles and changing my filter every 2500 miles since i got the jeep with mopar oem filters. i think the manuel calls for 6000 mile intervals and my filler cap and owners manuel both spec 5/30 on the oil. well my service rep gave me a call and basicly scolded me for what he said was obvious that i have not been changing my oil. he said my filter was almost cloged ( which had about 1800 miles on it) and my oil was dirty and was like water it was so thin. he also said that the code was for improper oil being used because i should be using 5/20. now am i wrong or is 5/20 thinner than 5/30 to start out with? now like i said, my filler cap and my owners manuel both spec 5/30. i also told him i was changing my oil and filters ahead of my maintainence schedule and he told me i was going by the wrong schedule. my manuel only has one schedule. when i bought the jeep it took alot for me to go back to a chrysler product because of a terrible exsperiance i had with a dodge truck before and chryslers refusal to fix it. i can see a leapord don't change his spots. they are already trying to set me up to be at fault in the event something goes wrong with the jeep. i do know that they did change the spec on the oil to 5/20 in 2013 though. they did it for some reason.

Last edited by egl1962; 03-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default P06DD - Check engine light

Had the same issue. First time the dealership did nothing (8/12). Came on and went off several times, takes about a day to go off. Took it in last week. The dealership said it was because I did not use a mopar oil filter, even though the first couple of times it happen with the original Mopar filter (2000 mi). Sitting at the dealership, waiting for my oil pump to be changed. (about a 4 hr job). Thinking this is it because the pumps are on back order and the didn't even bother trying the pressure sensor.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive been using wix filters and mobil 1 full syn since my first oil change and have had no issues the 2012 does call for 5w30 .
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

That's funny because Mobil 1 is NOT certified for use in the JKU. It does not carry the Chrysler certification. Funny now a service manager would tell you to use something that wasn't certified. By certified I mean to MS 6395. Pennzoil ultra is one brand of top quality synthetic that does carry the Chrysler spec.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
That's funny because Mobil 1 is NOT certified for use in the JKU. It does not carry the Chrysler certification. Funny now a service manager would tell you to use something that wasn't certified. By certified I mean to MS 6395. Pennzoil ultra is one brand of top quality synthetic that does carry the Chrysler spec.
Mobil 1 5w-30 is MS 6395 certified, at least when I did my last 2 oil changes, according to the bottles.

It appears Mobil 1 5w-20 is not, however, but a response from the Mobil 1 website seems to indicate they are doing additional testing and don't have reason to believe it wouldn't meet Chrysler's spec.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea

Mobil 1 5w-30 is MS 6395 certified, at least when I did my last 2 oil changes, according to the bottles.

It appears Mobil 1 5w-20 is not, however, but a response from the Mobil 1 website seems to indicate they are doing additional testing and don't have reason to believe it wouldn't meet Chrysler's spec.
The bottles of 5-30 here in NJ do not have the Chrysler marking. A search on the Internet said that the bottle in Canada are marked with the MS spec. I certainly don't think that there is anything wrong with Mobil 1, but I refuse to use something not marked as being certified so I don't give Chrysler any wiggle room to deny a claim. I have lifetime warranty.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by egl1962
i have gotten a cel a couple times p06dd (low oil pressure detected?). every time it would come on it would clear itself so i was'nt getting to concerned about it to much. well it came on again and i was going to be off for a couple weeks so i brought it in while i was off. now when i bought my jk my sales man told me that he was a service manager for years before getting in to sales and if he had any advise to me it was to use mobil1 full synthetic oil from my first oil change. so i have been using mobile1 5/30 oil and have been changing my oil every 5000 miles and changing my filter every 2500 miles since i got the jeep with mopar oem filters. i think the manuel calls for 6000 mile intervals and my filler cap and owners manuel both spec 5/30 on the oil. well my service rep gave me a call and basicly scolded me for what he said was obvious that i have not been changing my oil. he said my filter was almost cloged ( which had about 1800 miles on it) and my oil was dirty and was like water it was so thin. he also said that the code was for improper oil being used because i should be using 5/20. now am i wrong or is 5/20 thinner than 5/30 to start out with? now like i said, my filler cap and my owners manuel both spec 5/30. i also told him i was changing my oil and filters ahead of my maintainence schedule and he told me i was going by the wrong schedule. my manuel only has one schedule. when i bought the jeep it took alot for me to go back to a chrysler product because of a terrible exsperiance i had with a dodge truck before and chryslers refusal to fix it. i can see a leapord don't change his spots. they are already trying to set me up to be at fault in the event something goes wrong with the jeep. i do know that they did change the spec on the oil to 5/20 in 2013 though. they did it for some reason.
I have a 2010 JK with the 3.8L. The engine oil spec is 5w-20, meeting Chrysler MS-6395. I checked the most recent owners manual (edition 3rd) for the 2010 JK and the spec today is still SAE 5w-20, meeting Chrysler MS-6395.

Back in 2010, Mobil 1 5w-20 did meet the Chrysler MS-6395 spec and I have been using this oil since day 1. I was not aware that Mobil 1 5w-20 no longer meets Chrysler MS-6395 spec. I am surprised. I assume when the testing/certification is complete, that Mobil 1 5w-20 will once again meet Chrysler MS-6395 spec.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my understanding mobil did meet the origonal test standards but then chrysler changed the requirements on the standard and mobil has not been certified through the new standards yet.

Quick Reply: heres a good one