Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hit a lightpost and bent front lower control arm bracket. Jeep handles bad?

Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a lightpost and bent front lower control arm bracket. Jeep handles bad?

So i ran into a lightpost around 10 mph, only the tire hit but it hit pretty bad . Immediatly noticed the steering wheel was way off center. I also noticed when i turn the steering wheel left a quarter turn it starts rubbing the frame bad.
I got under the rig and noticed the control arm was cracked at the welds and mangled/ bent . I also feel as though the front tire that hit is no longer even with the passenger side tire. It sits back about 1". When I drive at 40+mph its very flighty and veers to the left , also when i hit a bump it swings to the left .

Can someone point me in the right direction . I was going to take it to a shop tomorrrow to have a new bracket welded on but is there anything else i need to look for or will a bent bracket cause all this mess?
Old 05-21-2017, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I've bent brackets in the past you can usually heat em and beat em back into place.

Also what can help is a large crescent wrench, open the jaws just wide enough to fit and boom bam, repaired.

Hopefully it's as minor as you believe. These kinds of accidents have a tendency to slightly whack around a few components. Depending where you smacked it, mind posting some pics?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can someone post a picture of normal front lower control arm brackets? I was also told by the dealer that my bracket is out of place because of impact.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 AM
DJ1
Former Member

I doubt yours looks anything like this, although it might I guess depending on the tire size you are running (smaller tire would cushion any hits less), but here's an example of what you should not be driving on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	G0330098.JPG
Views:	1523
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	671786

Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Hopefully any bracket damage is limited to axle side. That frame side LCA bracket looks like a real bitch to replace. Was looking at the Synergy frame side brackets and the install on those does NOT look fun. Not a whole lot of replacement offerings out there either. Axle side brackets not near as complicated to replace.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

[COLOR="#FFFFFF"]
Originally Posted by DJ1
I doubt yours looks anything like this, although it might I guess depending on the tire size you are running (smaller tire would cushion any hits less), but here's an example of what you should not be driving on:

Attachment 671786

Wow, luckily mine isn't that bad (or as obvious) is it worth repairing this? I'm trying to get to the bottom of a mysterious caster/camber value on recent alignment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3352.JPG
Views:	1584
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	671800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3353.JPG
Views:	1017
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	671801  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
[COLOR="#FFFFFF"]

Wow, luckily mine isn't that bad (or as obvious) is it worth repairing this? I'm trying to get to the bottom of a mysterious caster/camber value on recent alignment.

Based on the looks of your undercarriage, I would seriously think about getting a new crossmember and some tranny/oil pan skids before doing anything else. Maybe throw in some front lower adjustable control arms.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by resharp001
Hopefully any bracket damage is limited to axle side. That frame side LCA bracket looks like a real bitch to replace. Was looking at the Synergy frame side brackets and the install on those does NOT look fun. Not a whole lot of replacement offerings out there either. Axle side brackets not near as complicated to replace.

I've heard the frame side CA brackets are a bitch to grind off if you're looking to replacing the whole thing. The other option is just getting the weld-on gusset kit for the stock frame side brackets....

Old 05-23-2017, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
Based on the looks of your undercarriage, I would seriously think about getting a new crossmember and some tranny/oil pan skids before doing anything else. Maybe throw in some front lower adjustable control arms.

Yeah the crossmember is pretty banged up... will that cause an issue with the transmission or transfer case alignment?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:30 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
Yeah the crossmember is pretty banged up... will that cause an issue with the transmission or transfer case alignment?

No, but if you crack your tranny and/or oil pan while offroad, it's going to suck major balls and most skid kits rely on that crossmember (whether it's stock or beefy aftermarket) being in good condition to mount to.

Also, hard/repeated hits to the "trumpet" on the exhaust by the front driver's lower control arm have been known to jack up the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by DJ1; 05-23-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Hit a lightpost and bent front lower control arm bracket. Jeep handles bad?