Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HOAT Coolant ph test

Old 10-09-2023, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOAT Coolant ph test

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and testing the ph level in the coolant to determine whether or not it is still good. Most say that a reading of 7 to 7.5 ph is good for most coolants. Wondering if that reading is any different from regular anti-freeze than for HOAT?
Old 10-09-2023, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

The ideal pH level of engine coolant varies depending on the type of coolant used. For conventional coolants, the recommended pH level is between 8 and 7 12. For organic acid technology (OAT) coolants, the ideal pH level is 1.5 3. The pH level of coolant is important because it measures the acidity or basicity of a solution. A coolant that’s too acidic can cause corrosion, while one that’s too alkaline will stop being effective at preventing corrosion 3.

While litmus paper can tell you how acidic the coolant is, it doesn’t tell you anything else. When you test coolant with litmus paper, you’ll find out whether the water/antifreeze mixture is correct. But you won’t know whether the coolant has lost its ability to prevent corrosion, or if the coolant is contaminated with something else.

I hope this helps!

I hope this helps!
Old 10-09-2023, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOAT Coolant pH range

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
The ideal pH level of engine coolant varies depending on the type of coolant used. For conventional coolants, the recommended pH level is between 8 and 7 12. For organic acid technology (OAT) coolants, the ideal pH level is 1.5 3. The pH level of coolant is important because it measures the acidity or basicity of a solution. A coolant that’s too acidic can cause corrosion, while one that’s too alkaline will stop being effective at preventing corrosion 3.

While litmus paper can tell you how acidic the coolant is, it doesn’t tell you anything else. When you test coolant with litmus paper, you’ll find out whether the water/antifreeze mixture is correct. But you won’t know whether the coolant has lost its ability to prevent corrosion, or if the coolant is contaminated with something else.

I hope this helps!

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the info. The chart recommends 7-9.5 ph for (ECL) Extended Life Coolant.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

For 30+ years all I do is taste (not swallow) the coolant. If it is sweet tasting you are good, a bit off or sour change it. Never had a cooling problem.
Old 10-11-2023, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Guess that you are not using Embittered.. you are correct regular will have sweet and that is what appeals to animals and the creation of Embittered.

Quick Reply: HOAT Coolant ph test