Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hood flutter fix with Mopar OEM missing part!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Some thoughts on having observed the hood dance issue for many years. First and foremost, there are plenty of "fixes" out there that work for some people because, despite their belief that they live in the worst possible climate in the world for hood dance, they really don't. So keeping the air dam on, removing the spring, or even some aftermarket rubber replacement hood latches, work for them, but don't work for those of us who really do live in the worst possible climate in the world for hood dance (Heck, we sing songs about how bad the winds are here in Oklahoma, for crying out loud; and being at the intersection of I-35, I-40 and I-44 [think route 66] we get a fair amount of truck traffic off those busy Interstates onto our two lane highways).

Anyway, if you want the cheapest, easiest fix that doesn't have the "look" of zip-ties, and will really work should you ever happen to drive through the western half or Oklahoma (or the Texas Panhandle, for that matter), it helps to understand what the problem is before you try to fix it. The problem is there is a 1/2" gap (approximately) between the safety catch and the crossmember that it strikes against. If you release the hood latches, you'll note that the spring pushes up the hood until that gap is closed. Then you reach under the hood, slide the safety catch to the side, and continue raising the hood. So, what if you could eliminate that gap?

Brett Woods, owner of Dominion Offroad/JeepSWAG, figured out just exactly how to do that years ago. And he sold a kit back then for a few bucks that consisted of two parts: A shot piece (3" or so) of rectangular tubular stainless steel, and a big zip-tie (not just long, but big). You zip-tie that piece of stainless steel under the crossmember, taking up the gap between the safety catch and the crossmember, and you will never have hood dance again. Well, if you bought something from Brett he just gave you that kit--threw it in the box for free. I checked his website the other day and couldn't find a page for the kit, so either he's stopped making it, or he just gives them away. But, I'm sure someone could easily put something together based on what I've just told you. Or you could call Brett and see if he has a kit, or will give out instructions on how he made it if he no longer sells it.

Oh, and to open the hood, now you'll have to reach through the grill opening to slide the safety catch to the side. Easy-peasy.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-23-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Some thoughts on having observed the hood dance issue for many years. First and foremost, there are plenty of "fixes" out there that work for some people because, despite their belief that they live in the worst possible climate in the world for hood dance, they really don't. So keeping the air dam on, removing the spring, or even some aftermarket rubber replacement hood latches, work for them, but don't work for those of us who really do live in the worst possible climate in the world for hood dance (Heck, we sing songs about how bad the winds are here in Oklahoma, for crying out loud; and being at the intersection of I-35, I-40 and I-44 [think route 66] we get a fair amount of truck traffic off those busy Interstates onto our two lane highways).

Anyway, if you want the cheapest, easiest fix that doesn't have the "look" of zip-ties, and will really work should you ever happen to drive through the western half or Oklahoma (or the Texas Panhandle, for that matter), it helps to understand what the problem is before you try to fix it. The problem is there is a 1/2" gap (approximately) between the safety catch and the crossmember that it strikes against. If you release the hood latches, you'll note that the spring pushes up the hood until that gap is closed. Then you reach under the hood, slide the safety catch to the side, and continue raising the hood. So, what if you could eliminate that gap?

Brett Woods, owner of Dominion Offroad/JeepSWAG, figured out just exactly how to do that years ago. And he sold a kit back then for a few bucks that consisted of two parts: A shot piece (3" or so) of rectangular tubular stainless steel, and a big zip-tie (not just long, but big). You zip-tie that piece of stainless steel under the crossmember, taking up the gap between the safety catch and the crossmember, and you will never have hood dance again. Well, if you bought something from Brett he just gave you that kit--threw it in the box for free. I checked his website the other day and couldn't find a page for the kit, so either he's stopped making it, or he just gives them away. But, I'm sure someone could easily put something together based on what I've just told you. Or you could call Brett and see if he has a kit, or will give out instructions on how he made it if he no longer sells it.

Oh, and to open the hood, now you'll have to reach through the grill opening to slide the safety catch to the side. Easy-peasy.
sweet, fortunately for me i did not like the look of the rubber catches and got the metal ones almost as much for their appearance as for their function, they just look awesome being black aluminum and steel, my only gripe is they are glossy black rather then flat.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rizob
I just took the hood latch spring off. Problem solved.
This is the easiest fix! No other mods needed.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Basically the same thing the rubber bumpers do cept need one in the middle also and that would definitely stop all hood movement, think I will order another one and mount it in the middle like your buddies kit piece.

Quick Reply: Hood flutter fix with Mopar OEM missing part!!!!!!!