Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Horn going off for no reason and other electrical gremlins

Old 05-07-2023, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horn going off for no reason and other electrical gremlins

I have a 2012 Rubicon. It’s a 6 speed with manual locks and windows. There is no alarm system and there is no key fob.

I go and open the drivers door yesterday and get a solid 30 second horn blast. It has started doing this every time I open the door now. Disconnect the horn at the horn module itself and that resolved the issue.

About an hour later, it shuts off in traffic and will not restart. I turn the key and the engine will not crank. Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes but that did not resolve the issue. Ended up getting it to start by hot wiring the starter and cranking the key at the same time. That is the only way the jeep will start now.

No codes are being thrown. What could this issue be?
Old 05-14-2023, 10:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

My 2007 used to do something similar. I'd be driving along, the horn would beep, the engine would die, the wipers (front and rear) would wipe a time or two, then after a few seconds I could restart it. Over a period of several years it probably did this randomly a half dozen times. The only difference we seem to have is mine never did the horn blast when opening the driver's door. I figured it was a temperamental TIPM, pulled it up, disconnected and cleaned all of the electrical connectors, reset all of the devices inside of the TIPM (fuses, relays, etc) at least several times. Eventually it just stopped. I really hate to write this, but it has not returned in the last eight, nine years or so.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
My 2007 used to do something similar. I'd be driving along, the horn would beep, the engine would die, the wipers (front and rear) would wipe a time or two, then after a few seconds I could restart it. Over a period of several years it probably did this randomly a half dozen times. The only difference we seem to have is mine never did the horn blast when opening the driver's door. I figured it was a temperamental TIPM, pulled it up, disconnected and cleaned all of the electrical connectors, reset all of the devices inside of the TIPM (fuses, relays, etc) at least several times. Eventually it just stopped. I really hate to write this, but it has not returned in the last eight, nine years or so.

Thanks. What is the TIPM?
Old 06-04-2023, 12:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by cs641
Thanks. What is the TIPM?
Totally Integrated Power Module. It is the fuse and relay box next to the vehicle battery. If you pull it up, there are five (IIRC) large electrical connectors on the bottom of it. There are also a couple larger wires off to the side for power to it. There is a lot going on inside that box and it is often the cause of electrical gremlins.

I have dual-batteries, but the TIPM is in the same place with an OEM battery configuration.

I believe that credit for this figure goes to forum member ronjenx.

Credit also to ronjenx.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

You can reset the TIPM as well. There is a good site MAC's that can help with the reset process.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently had the same. With Jeep off, horn sounding, wipers going, and lights on, TIPM box was chattering mad. Turned motor on and off and disconnected/reconnected negative terminal in parking lot - still the same. Disconnected horn fuse and Drove home with chattering/crackling noises coming from TIPM box. Disconnected negative terminal overnight and reconnected in morning. All was fine but had no power locks not even by aftermarket key fob - not even an electrical sound like it was trying to lock/unlock.

Checked all grounds, wires going into TIPM, and replaced 1 blown fuse. Windshield washer fluid pump was melted - I since replaced. Took to a shop, cause at this point, the work is beyond my scope. They replaced the TIPM (bring some lube cause Mopar TIPM is $$$$ and the old one is a core) but thought might have to wait until mid June or July cause none to be found, I'm in Chicago area. Only waited a couple weeks though. Not sure what cause the TIPM to act up, wish it was as simple as reseating some fuses.

Now have to track down this Air bag light.

Quick Reply: Horn going off for no reason and other electrical gremlins