Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horn issue

Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn issue

While coming home after driving into the ocean, I noticed my Horn sounded like someone shoved a bacon cheeseburger into it...

Did I wreck the horn or is there just sand and crud in it?

Just curious if I'll have to buy a new one.... Anyone else have this happen?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seems like there have been other posts about this. Apparently water can get in it and mess it up.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take an airhose and blow it out, it'll speed the drying process, otherwise it could take a few days or a week. Or you could do like I did and put a fire engine horn in.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Default yep

i went mudding the about a week ago. mine did the same thing. give her some time. it will dry out and sound normal again.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, The Princess Bride, one of my favorite movies of all time.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Mine did the same after blasting through some shallow water a bit too quick.. I took it off and dumped the water out of it.. It's been fine since
Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

water can get trapped in it and take forever to dry out...it's basically a spiral design kinda like a nautilus shell and water gets trapped in there after blasting through mud, water, whatever....mine never did dry out after several weeks and i finally took it out and shook it out as best i could and it sounded better but not back to normal and normal never was much to begin with so i took this as a prime opportunity to upgrade to an airhorn...there are plenty of threads on here about doing that so you can search for those if you want...but you can pick up an airhorn at harbor freight for 10-25 bucks depending on if you hit a sale and depending on how loud of one you want and it's basically plug and play installation with the stock wires and you get a much better horn than stock....
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Yup...I've been through a few horns for that reason. Now, having learned my lesson, before I go muddin (or driving fast into oceans ) i'll wrap a plastic sandwich bag around the horn and tape it down to keep the water and gunk out
Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Oh, The Princess Bride, one of my favorite movies of all time.
Didn't get it till I scrolled back up to take another look at OPs awesome pic. Yeah!..Thats a great movie!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

the same thing happened to mine a while back; just like the earlier posts say, it is just water inside the horn. mine would not dry out --after about a month, i just removed the horn, and hosed it out with compressed air. that did the trick! the only thing is that, since it is spiral shaped, you need to remove the horn so that you can rotate it while airing it out to force the water to fall out, otherwise the water will remain in the bottom of the horn.

Quick Reply: Horn issue