Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horn Relay?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Horn Relay?

Gentlemen, I have NO Horn. Have checked the fuses = ok. Disconnected horn and tested for power at the ends with a check light = NOTHING. Does anyone know where/if there is a relay which leads to horn? Please help, I am certain there is something missing her and doubtful of clock spring as cruise control, etc all works fine as per the steering wheel. THNX
Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Connect the horn directly to the battery and see if it works. You may just have a bad horn or filled with mud/water and crapped out. If you power the horn directly it should turn on, if it doesn't, then you can get a new one.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default nope

Been there. Done that already. Horn, though weak, will honk when connected directly to battery.

Problem is no juice at the wiring ends which connects the horn, fuses as per rt & lt Horn (numbers m22 and m23) are fine, but still no horn.

I know that when I have check light on hot+ wire to horn and push the steering button in I should get light on, but dont.

THus, IS THERE A REALY SOMEWHERE, etc to check???

Lost
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

RevJeep did you find the answer to this? Having same issue with my 09 right now.....

Let me know...Thanks!

HEFTY

Originally Posted by revjeep
Been there. Done that already. Horn, though weak, will honk when connected directly to battery.

Problem is no juice at the wiring ends which connects the horn, fuses as per rt & lt Horn (numbers m22 and m23) are fine, but still no horn.

I know that when I have check light on hot+ wire to horn and push the steering button in I should get light on, but dont.

THus, IS THERE A REALY SOMEWHERE, etc to check???

Lost
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Old thread, but still relevant.

Which horn fuse you check matters. There are two of them. One is used on U.S. Jeeps. The other is used along with it on overseas Jeeps, (dual horn).

There is a horn relay, but it's not one of them in the fuse box. It's on one of the circuit boards in the TIPM.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Any news on this? I'm having the same problem with mine. Could this be a bad clock spring causing this problem?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely sounds like a clockspring problem here. I'm almost positive that's what happened to mine.

I've heard that rain / water getting all up in the steering wheel area can kill the spring (i.e. from leaving the top down). Not sure how accurate that is but the timing of the horn failure made sense for me.

I'm going to replace the spring this fall when I have the money. Until then, I wired a bypass button for the horn.

Just keep your eyes out for airbag warnings being thrown up on the dash - that's when you really know you need to hustle on the clockspring. Not that ignoring it at all is a good idea anyway.

Last edited by adammj; 06-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Yea that's what I was afraid of. So far just my horn is not working. Hopefully I dont get all the other problems until I get it changed.
Geez $500 for a clock spring..... Not what I want to spend my mod money on
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard rumors that such a clockspring failure may be covered by an extended warranty for 2007 JK's - the result of an NTSA investigation.

I'm looking into it as I type this.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

2007's are covered by an extended warranty for this part. But that's the only year. Sounds like BS to me.

Quick Reply: Horn Relay?